I'm just curious: how many of your boys showed speech or physical delays as infants/toddlers? I understand that many boys with DMD are delayed, and that's one thing that tips off parents that there may be something wrong. So far Max (7 months old) is developing appropriately for his age -- just wondering when I might see him start to get "behind" on milestones. I'm also wondering if it's possible to predict speech delays in infancy. So far Max makes all the sounds/babbling he is supposed to, so I'm wondering if that might indicate he won't have speech delays later. Thanks!!

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't believe almost a year has gone by since my initial post! Max, who is now 18 months old, does have a speech delay. He can probably say six words: "mama", "nurse", "no", "woof woof", "please" and "this" are all they come to mind right now. He has an evaluation appointment with an Early Childhood Intervention speech therapist next week, so I'm hopeful we'll get him on the right track. We went for his 18-month checkup today, and his pediatrician said his delay may just be because he's a second kid with a sister who speaks for him, or because he's a boy and some boys tend to talk a bit later, but he thought an eval was a good idea.
Our son who is 17 never had any speech or physical delays. He began to talk and he walked at the same times as our other 3 children not affected by DMD. Later on when he was about 4 1/2 he started having trouble with steps, and distance and being slower. We thought it was because his older siblings did everything for him but found out differently when he was diagnosed with DMD about 6 months later.
Hi Veronica; As far as speech goes, for Calum he made all the appropriate sounds and such until he 12mos old, then it seemed to regress, or just disappear, then reappear mos later. Physically, I noticed around the 18mos stage. Calum was up until that stage right in the middle of all his developmental milestones.
Bill
Thanks for the info, Bill. We see that regression of skills a bit with Max in regard to sign language. He was actively signing at daycare at 12 or 14 months, but hardly signed at all until the last few weeks. He started walking at 16 months, and I think learning that skill took all of his concentration!

Bill Cain said:
Hi Veronica; As far as speech goes, for Calum he made all the appropriate sounds and such until he 12mos old, then it seemed to regress, or just disappear, then reappear mos later. Physically, I noticed around the 18mos stage. Calum was up until that stage right in the middle of all his developmental milestones.
Bill
My son showed physical delays as an infant.He never rolled over or sat up from a lying down position,or pulled himself up from a sitting position.He had to be sat up and stood up otherwise he wasn't able to. He walked at 15mo but would fall quite often.Bending down to pick things up from the floor was impossible

Veronica E. said:
Thanks for the info, Bill. We see that regression of skills a bit with Max in regard to sign language. He was actively signing at daycare at 12 or 14 months, but hardly signed at all until the last few weeks. He started walking at 16 months, and I think learning that skill took all of his concentration!

Bill Cain said:
Bill

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service