Looks like Daniel is going to be getting his service dog in Nov. this year.  The training is 2 weeks long and will require me taking 2 weeks off work to go to it with him.  What I'm wondering is if it would fall under FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act)?  My employer wasn't sure about it and neither am I. 

Views: 1030

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know. I am scheduling our training for summer....but that is the benefit of being a teacher!! Call the service dog co you are using...I bet they know!
Hi Lori,
I did ask them and they didn't seem sure either. They said they thought so. I'd really like something more definitive.
hmm, I imagine you have looked up the law online? Did you talk to your HR person at work? They tend to know the law pretty well at the places I have worked.....

Karen Barnett said:
Hi Lori,
I did ask them and they didn't seem sure either. They said they thought so. I'd really like something more definitive.
Which company did you go with, Karen?
KSDS Dogs in Kansas.

Keith Van Houten said:
Which company did you go with, Karen?
When we did the two week training, my husband took FMLA ( I just used my sick time). So YES, you can use it, just had his doc fill out the paperwork.

Karen Barnett said:
Hi Lori, I did ask them and they didn't seem sure either. They said they thought so. I'd really like something more definitive.
Kristi,
Thank you so much! This is what I wanted to hear.

Kristi Powell said:
When we did the two week training, my husband took FMLA ( I just used my sick time). So YES, you can use it, just had his doc fill out the paperwork.

Karen Barnett said:
Hi Lori, I did ask them and they didn't seem sure either. They said they thought so. I'd really like something more definitive.
karen we will have to get them together again, we got our dog last may and he is amazing, but do not know about the medical leave act,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service