How many dmd moms or dads actually prefer public school over home school. My son is being picked on and it kills me not being able to protect him. He doesnt lile the idea of home school and refuses tp do it what to do.

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son was picked on when he was in a school who does not support kids with disability because he was still capable of walking. However, once he transfer to a charter school which has a building to support kids with disabilities and the kids are mainstream into regular classroom, he is doing well. His friends in regular class are really helpful and respectful. I would keep him in public school and ask teachers and principal on how the issue to can be resolve. 

Tanner is just finishing up first grade and has had an extraordinary year. We are grateful that his school and all the staff are super supportive of Tanner and any of his special needs. The kids in his class are awesome and actually fight over who gets to be" Tanners Helper" for the week. Recently we had an IEP meeting and his teacher teared up because of how caring, understanding and accepting the kids all are. She said she wasn't sure if they were just naturally like that or if possibly Tanner just brings that out in people. His teacher said that this class has truly been the best she has ever had, and she was so grateful to be their teacher!  Wow!  Hopefully next year wil be just a good!

We have also had a wonderful experience with public school. Our principal has been supportive since my son, Jack, was diagnosed, early in the first grade. He's now finishing second grade. I make a point to meet with the principal, teacher, school nurse and PE teacher each year to ensure his needs are met. Jack has a twin sister and our principal has committed to keeping them in the same class. She's good a being there for Jack when he needs help. I have been very impressed with the kindness that other students have shown him. I hope this continues as he gets older.

Billy, age 11, is in public school and we haven't had too many serious issues with taunting etc.....our district does have a rigorous anti-bully policy and bullying is not tolerated at all.  On occasion when taunting or bullying has occured, it has been promptly acted on....comments such as why do you walk on your toes, or "hey, there's the dude who walks on his toes".....we have reported the comments immediately and it has been handled well, but like I said our school district has a really good anti-bully policy....just have to act on it immediately.

Billy told me that in gym class the kids cheer for him and rally around him....I guess each district is different, but again, just ask, request, tell your school what you need.  Good luck!

Our school was so worried about liability they wouldnt even let him play on playground. After that i pulled him out of scchool.

My twin grandsons have just finished 2nd grade. They are in individual  classes. There is a resource class that other handicap children of various degrees go to. That is useless in my opinion. The boys use their electric chairs and adults were expecting them to get themselves into desk chairs, thus many falls.  My daughter has had to have the neurologist send orders to the school about what to and not to do.Children weren't the problem--it was the adults-one who didn't want to help in bathroom, told them to wear diapers, REALLY!!?? They don't have a problem except getting up and down and fastening up. Next year should be better.  My daughter has had to "fight" for bus service and many other things. She used to work in doctor's offices and knows rights and where to go for them.

Hi Danielle,

Has anyone taken time to speak to the students in your son's class about muscular dystrophy?  When children are given age appropriate information about muscle weakness they are better able to understand why a child isn't able to do things or is slower and this often helps builds empathy and compassion.  I started speaking with my sons' classes when they were in the first grade and did this every year until middle school.  The kids all got the message and became great supporters of my sons.  One way to start the conversation is having students watch the BrainPop video about DMD: http://www.brainpop.com/health/diseasesinjuriesandconditions/duchen...
Other parents have the students wear heavy boots, like the type fireman wear, explaining this is how hard it is for a child who has muscular dystrophy to get around.  The discussion doesn't have to go into great detail, just keep things simple and give the kids an idea of the challenges faced, they can't "catch it" and it isn't anyone's fault.  Raising awareness may help change how children treat others.

Best of luck.

Brian

My son is now being home schooled

Danielle we have some pretty strong convictions about public school versus private or home school. All of it based on facts and what we've seen and experienced for ourselves. Public schools are government run facilities, and that in and of itself is a problem! Your son probably isn't real sure what a good home school is all about, hence his hesitation. Home schooling is definitely not defined by sitting at a desk at home all day and never seeing anyone else! It's exactly the opposite. We've been home schooling for 5 years and my kids love it. Despite starting with several learning disabilities with our child that has Duchenne, we have completely conquered the dyslexia and have almost conquered dyscalculia. Our kids belong to clubs, we have children over to play, they go over to other children's homes to play, and we're part of an active community where their 'social' needs are met. Teaching your children at home is not for everyone, but if it's even an option for you, I warmly suggest checking it out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service