So I called an ARD meeting for Sam. We had his last one in May 2008, but after seeing him continually struggle in language arts, we needed to do something. The meeting was suppose to be today. Well, the diagnostician had a family emergency, so it ended up just a staff meeting with his teacher, resource room teacher and assistant principal. I gave them each a copy of the DMD learning guide James gave me, thank you James. I'd sent it to them all before, but figured a nice bound copy for each might go further. We went over a few things in it and they all agreed that having Sam take all his tests one on one would be a good thing to try. But we can't start doing this until we have an actual ARD meeting and get it in his IEP. Stupid, stupid, stupid. So now we have to wait to get that scheduled. We're hoping for next Friday, but who knows. I briefly brought up an aide for Sam, but didn't go into it much because I figured there wasn't much point without it being an ARD meeting.

I must say, I'm liking his teacher less and less each time I talk with her. I can't even tell you exactly what rubs me the wrong way, but there's just something there.

Hopefully we can get the ARD scheduled soon. I hate that we still seem to be in limbo and that Sam will have to wait even longer for the help he needs.

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know Brian Denger is in DC, but he really knows the Special Ed law. I suppose in TX the ARD is equivalent to the IEP?
If so, there are guidelines about how quickly you must have an IEP meeting if a parent requests it. I would have not been happy for them 'wasting' my time. I understand family emergencies, but they should have cancelled and re-scheduled if for the next school day if that met your schedule!
good Luck!
Lori
Hi
I had an ARD meeting for my son Shane, 9 yrs 4th grade, last Friday. The school scheduled it like the day before and seem very flexible about scheduling. Your meeting should have been rescheduled asap!! They need to realise you are the parent trying to do whats best for your child and help and work with you and not undermine your efforts. Fight for what you want for your child, an aide is not unreasonable, my sons resouce teacher goes with him everywhere for support.

Shane takes his tests by small group administartion and oral instructions and that seems to be working well for him. He is in resource for LA and Math and attends the regular classes for Science and SS and reading. The schools just seem to care about their funding or cetain labels they apply to our children such as ED and LD and Other Orthepedic Impaired etc... This meeting I went in armed to the teeth with legal documents and info I have gathered and I think some of the things I wanted were implemented. His resource teacher and I seem to have come to a better understanding about things. I think sometimes if you get just one thing you want for your child per meeting it's a victory.

Oh and I had a question, DMD learnig guide? How do I get one of those?

If you do not get help from your school or are not satisfied with the ARD meeting or IEP you can consult an Advocacy Group or Advocacy Atty. There are several grassroots orgs in Austin and lots of Advocacy info on the web.

Danie
Yes, the ARD meeting is where we review and work on his IEP. I'm hoping the diagnostician will be back soon so we can get this thing scheduled.

Danie,
What kind of wording did you use to get an aide?

Lori Ware said:
I know Brian Denger is in DC, but he really knows the Special Ed law. I suppose in TX the ARD is equivalent to the IEP?
If so, there are guidelines about how quickly you must have an IEP meeting if a parent requests it. I would have not been happy for them 'wasting' my time. I understand family emergencies, but they should have cancelled and re-scheduled if for the next school day if that met your schedule!
good Luck!
Lori
We just moved to a new school district in January and they actually implemented the aide before we asked but I would just ask them outright and if they say no you could get a note from your Dr and that should help. If that still does not work then if your son has medicaid or if your insurace would pay for it a home health aide or nurse could attend school with him you just need a presciption from your Dr. I know that a student at Shane's last school had a nurse go to school with him everyday and she helped him with his work and getting around and carrying lunch tray etc...
Danie
my son is in 5th grade, in 2nd grade we felt he needed a 1 on 1 aid. we went about it as a safety issue. Once we got that across to them they totally were on board with it. she has been wonderful with him. the best part is that she also helps him with his academics.
There is a group at the website Wrightslaw.com and they send a monthly newsletter addressing problems such as this one and will also answer questions if you write them. They might be able to help you.
For those of you in Texas, I found a wonderful publication. It is like Cliff Notes for special education services in Texas. It even has examples of letters and requests. A friend in New Jersey looked at it and said that there is a lot of cross over for other states as well. The website is advocacyinc.org. Go to the left side and click on publications then click on Education Handouts. The publication is called "It's a new IDEA!" You can print it off or order a bound manual. It has helped me to understand the process, Sam's rights and how I can make an impact. One of the best things is for every step it lists "Ways you Can Participate" so you can maximize your input.
It covers:
Words to Know
Laws, Rules and Regulations
Education Records
A Parents Guide to the Spec. Ed. Process
-Referral
-Notice of Rights
-Full and Individual Evaluation
-The ARD Meeting
-The IEP
-After the Meeting
-Resolving Disagreements
TX Spec. Ed Resources
Where can I get this DMD learning guide? It sounds like it would be of great help. Also I checked out the advocacy inc website and ordered the manual you can also print it out which is pretty cool. Thanks for good info.
Thanks
Danie
Here's a copy to print. If you want the bound edition, you can email ryan@parentprojectmd.org, he'll send it to you.

Danie said:
Where can I get this DMD learning guide? It sounds like it would be of great help. Also I checked out the advocacy inc website and ordered the manual you can also print it out which is pretty cool. Thanks for good info.
Thanks
Danie
Attachments:
thanks
danie
Laurie,
What grade is Sam in? I'm assuming he had a full evaluation last year before that ARD meeting? What is in his IEP now? Are there specific interventions to help him progress in LA? Concerning the meeting, make sure you document what happened...and then write a letter requesting a meeting without undue delay. I really don't understand why, after the meeting, whatever it was called, that included you, a school administrator, classroom teacher, and resource teacher, the testing accomodation couldn't be added to the IEP. As long as you consent to the diagn. to be excused, it should've been ok. Going back though, there needs to be specific goals/ interventions to help him progress in LA, rather than just testing accomodations.

Kelli Miller
Educational Consultant/Advocate, CA
He's in 1st grade. He's had an IEP since he entered the school system at age 3. That was in Ohio. We moved back to Texas before the start of Kindergarten. He did receive a full evaluation through the school at that time. Right now, there's not much there with regards to LA, or any other classes. He has that he gets extra time, and can have assistance with written work when needed. Besides the testing accommodations, what other goals would you suggest, at least as a starting point for us to look at?

Kelli Miller said:
Laurie,
What grade is Sam in? I'm assuming he had a full evaluation last year before that ARD meeting? What is in his IEP now? Are there specific interventions to help him progress in LA? Concerning the meeting, make sure you document what happened...and then write a letter requesting a meeting without undue delay. I really don't understand why, after the meeting, whatever it was called, that included you, a school administrator, classroom teacher, and resource teacher, the testing accomodation couldn't be added to the IEP. As long as you consent to the diagn. to be excused, it should've been ok. Going back though, there needs to be specific goals/ interventions to help him progress in LA, rather than just testing accomodations.

Kelli Miller
Educational Consultant/Advocate, CA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service