My son is 12 with DMD. He is in power chair full time now, but generally handles the activity at school well. However, I'm currently evaluating options for his schooling in the near future because I know that the physical decline of the next few years will become more and more of a problem at school.
As I prepare to visit several schools to assess them, I was hoping that parents that have been through this might be able to help me prepare good questions to ask. Many of these schools are not in his current school district so the normal IEP process won't really apply.
Here is what I've prepare already:
1. How many aides at the school are trained to handle a DMD boy that needs to go the bathroom?
2. What areas of the school are not accessible by power wheelchair?
3. Are there any other kids his age also in power wheelchairs?
4. Describe the APE program at your school
5. Describe how the school strives to create an inclusive environment for kids like him
Thanks for anybody who has time to comment.