Hi,

Can anyone tell me why we should give our boys Protandim?  What are the benefits etc...and has anyone seen results?

Thanks!

Views: 3858

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't see major improvements, except an instant change in his cognitive abilities, although his calves are still pretty good after starting it 2 years ago. The cognitive improvements were fantastic, so I know it did something great. Some folks see a huge improvement in softness of calves, but, Kelvin has never had hard calves, so, I can't say much on that end yet. My son will be 8 in September and is doing great. Michelle
I didn't see great improvement when he first went on it, but was never sure enough to let him get off. After being on it about 12-18 mths, I ran out and decided to see what would happen. He immediately lost strenght and about 20%ROM in 2 mths. I put him back on it and within 2 weeks we had it all back. We WONT run out again!!!!

Lori
So, OOC, did your doctor's recommend starting use of Protandim? If not, what about the product made you sure it was a good idea to use? And how are the effects monitored in conjunction with steroids, etc.? I did go to the website, but I am still a little unclear as to exactly how it works, other than references to "anti-aging" and "free radicals." I will confess, I am not the most scientifically-minded, so apologies if this has been addressed somewhere obvious (and please let me know where!). Thanks!
My son took protandim for awhile I personally noticed no difference when he was taking it so we stopped. Didn't notice anything after stopping either.
Where can we buy protandim form ?Is there is specific dose for the kids ?or they take the same dose as adults.Any body who is using this please give this info .
This is the link I use: http://www.protandim.com/ProductPage.aspx , along with the FRIEND discount code. Makes it $30/bottle. My son is 7½ and weighs about 48lbs. He takes 1/4 tablet twice a day (1/2 tab total). I never noticed any big changes with him taking it, and he's been on it for several years now. I have never taken him off either. Some may see visible changes, but I can't say I have. But I still keep him on b/c it is something that works at a cellular level, so not all those changes can be seen.

Archana said:
Where can we buy protandim form ?Is there is specific dose for the kids ?or they take the same dose as adults.Any body who is using this please give this info .
I've read on this site that boys need to be at least 25 pounds before they start it, is that correct? Has anyone else heard that?
This is what Dr. Joe McCord said on another DMD site (you need an acct to be able to access): http://forum.trialserve.com/forum/viewthread?thread=1061#10834

Two Protandim is OK for a 100 lb. boy. I wouldn't recommend exceeding half a caplet for every 25 lb of boy.

I guess, you could email him to ask more questions about dosage. My son takes 1/2 pill at 29 pounds. I have not noticed anything really. Some people say that they noticed softer calves but I did not. It is hoped that might help reducing fibrosis but we need a clinical trial to be certain. There was a publication (recently) about Protandim and the heart: http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=255...

LifeVantage Corporation, announced that in a peer-reviewed manuscript published in the prestigious American Heart Association journal Circulation, Dr. Norbert Voelkel and researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), demonstrated the ability of Protandim, the Company's patented dietary supplement composed of five highly synergistic "indirect antioxidants", to protect the heart in a laboratory model of pulmonary hypertension in rats.

Pulmonary hypertension is a health condition characterized by high blood pressure in the circulation between the heart and lungs and can result in death due to right heart failure. In this study, pulmonary hypertension was induced in the animals through a drug and by creating an oxygen-poor environment (hypoxia). Animals pre-treated with Protandim experienced strong cardioprotective effects. Protandim was shown to protect the heart by increasing the expression of protective genes and by preventing the formation of scar tissue, or fibrosis, in the heart. The study showed that Protandim also prevented capillary loss in the heart muscle of the animals, preserving right heart function despite the continuing stress of pressure overload. Protandim also prevented the death of heart cells and significantly lowered osteopontin (OPN-1) levels by more than 50%. Osteopontin is a factor that leads to scar tissue formation, a cause of heart failure. The researchers in this study described the ability of Protandim to effectively activate the transcription factor Nrf2, a signal to the cell's DNA to increase expression of a network of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fibrotic genes.

"We are encouraged by the results of this study, which was independently funded and independently conducted by Dr. Voelkel and his colleagues at VCU," stated David Brown, President & CEO of LifeVantage. "These results illustrate the unique antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fibrotic properties of Protandim. Scientists have long known of the involvement of oxidative stress in disease processes, and this study is a significant example of how oxidative stress affects susceptibility to right heart failure in animals. Although it would be premature to conclude that similar benefits would be seen in humans, these remarkable results open the door to the possibility of future research on pulmonary hypertension and Protandim in humans."

The study entitled "Chronic pulmonary artery pressure elevation is insufficient to explain right heart failure" was authored by Harm Bogaard, Ramesh Natarajan, Scott C. Henderson, Carlin Long, Donatas Kraskauskas, Lisa Smithson, Ramzi Ockaili, Joe M. McCord, and Norbert Voelkel was published online, with a print version to follow.
Thanks Laurie and Ofelia..Great information.I will ask my neurologist and start it for my son.Do we have any blood test to check on the levels/toxicity etc.
"A study with MDX mice revealed that the use of ten times the human dose of Protandim in the mice for 6 months was safe and well tolerated. After 6 months of taking Protandim, 48% percent average decrease in serum TBARS was seen; 0.92nmol/mg in controlsResults: (n=9) versus 0.48 nmol/mg in Protandim® group (n=12; p=0.006). The muscle TBARS at 6 month were lower in the Protandim® treated mice. After six months, the mdx mice on control diets showed increased MRI signal abnormality (p=0.07) compared to mice on Protandim®. The use of Protandim® in this 6 month study did not significantly improve muscle strength, imaging characteristics nor histological criteria."

Interpreted - the Protandim did what it claimed in the MDX mouse ONLY, decreased serum TBARS. No trials were performed on humans with DMD. The mice showed decrease amounts of oxidative stress via a decrease in serum TBARS.

Decreasing oxidative stress is good for all of us - I would guess that decreasing oxidative is good, especially those comprimised with DMD.

Christine
Christine McSherry said:
"A study with MDX mice revealed that the use of ten times the human dose of Protandim in the mice for 6 months was safe and well tolerated. After 6 months of taking Protandim, 48% percent average decrease in serum TBARS was seen; 0.92nmol/mg in controlsResults: (n=9) versus 0.48 nmol/mg in Protandim® group (n=12; p=0.006). The muscle TBARS at 6 month were lower in the Protandim® treated mice. After six months, the mdx mice on control diets showed increased MRI signal abnormality (p=0.07) compared to mice on Protandim®. The use of Protandim® in this 6 month study did not significantly improve muscle strength, imaging characteristics nor histological criteria."

Interpreted - the Protandim did what it claimed in the MDX mouse ONLY, decreased serum TBARS. No trials were performed on humans with DMD. The mice showed decrease amounts of oxidative stress via a decrease in serum TBARS.

Decreasing oxidative stress is good for all of us - I would guess that decreasing oxidative is good, especially those comprimised with DMD.

Christine
We have taken our son off Protandim several times, just to give him a break from supplements. He's been taking Protandim since he was 5 years old. He is now 9. He has had no adverse side effets from taking the Protandim. His calved became more hardened each time we took him off the Protandim.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service