I was just curious to know if any non-carrier mom's were on any type of medication during their pregnancy of a child diagnosed and the father didn't have the disease.

Naomi

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is exactly what I said if you read my entire message. Since the girls get on X chromosome from the mother and one from the father and the father has only one X and one Y, the girls will have the one with the defective gene from the father and one from the mother. So the girls are carriers. Naomi's question was about the son's DMD, so my answer was: Fathers have nothing to do with their son's DMD.

Jerry Dallapè said:
Not entirely true. This does not come up often, since not many boys live long enough to be able to have children. In the future, as treatments prolong the lives of our boys, this may become an issue for some of us. If a man with DMD has a daughter, she will always be a carrier. If he has a boy, he will always be healthy.
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patientinfo/genetics/DM...

Ofelia Marin said:
Right. What confused me is the fact that you are asking about the father. Fathers have nothing to do with their son's DMD since the gene is on the X chromosome.
Hi

I am not a carrier and took insuline for gestational diabetes while pregnant with my son who has dmd.

I was part of a discussion once where the thesis was: the dystophin gene is so large that it can be mutated in the sperm from the grandfather who contributes to the daughter being a carrier. Valid? I don't know.

Karen
So let me get this straight you believe that something you took during pregnancy caused you son's dmd? Am I reading this right? There is no dmd history anywhere in my family either until my son was diagnosed yet I am a carrier.

Janine

Joshua's mom said:
Janine,

I am epileptic and was/am on many medications because of it. All the meds I am on though cause all the DMD symptoms and can cause diseases of many varieties. ( Don't get me wrong, Joshua was diagnosed with DMD). My ex-neurologist though assured me the meds would be okay to use during pregnancy and they aren't, hence the ex-. In my researching though, I found that a multitude of medications can cause these diseases by having different effects on the baby's body in the womb. There is no history of Duchenne anywhere in my family. We may be on of the %, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

Naomi
The medication I was on can cause every system causing all the symptoms including neurological and physical that DMD has. I am not saying it caused his DMD per say, but there's always the what if. I am researching it in many other places as well to find out and maybe warn others in my situation. It may have something to do with Joshua but not knowing for sure???

Naomi
I remember seeing a picture of a father w/DMD on this website. It gave me hope.
We have no family history either. My son Kyle is 7 and was just diagnosed. Remember though DMD effects 1 out of every 3600 births and non-heredity DMD makes up 44% of this population if you in that somewhere right now multiple births are taking place somewhere 3600 births is not alot but the 44% of the population that will be affected most certainly is...AFP will not detect DMD you will need CVS (cord venous sample) or posiibly even Amnio but a alpha feta protein (AFP) detects neurotubal defects DMD is absence of a particular gene. As for AFP- being irregular?? never hears of that however when an AFP is done is has to be done at a particular time during your pregnancy somewhere after 14weeks. If an AFP comes back abnormal recalculation of the due date is done as well as a repeat AFP or even Amnio. Alot of false-positive AFP are due to mis-calculations of the due date...I have four children three of which are boys and only my last son has it with no family history and two healthy boys before them it is likely i will be a non-carrier unfortunately for us this disease does not discriminate believe me I have searched for every other possible possibility but after the diagnosis and after the shock the how and why turns into what can i do, how can i give my son every opportunity as my other children, how do i keep him safe, healthy and happy as well as what can I do to make a difference....I know specifics and I have the medical knowledge behind me about this stuff but all of it goes right out the window when you are smack dab in the middle..good luck to everyone...hope this helps with some questions..
Dawn Baynes said:

Dawn,
I know a man with DMD who has a family. They have a little girl and are expecting again. He's close to 30 and has limited movement of his upper body, but it's there. He sure gives me hope. I speak to his mom quite a bit and she's quite open regarding his childhood and life with it thus far.

Naomi
I have no family history and did not take any medications while pregnant.

Michelle
I took Tylenol & Sudafed as needed, and was I was on antibiotics for sinus infections. I also had Gestational Diabetes that was controlled with food.
How is the little girl? Does she have DMD or now a carrier?

Joshua's mom said:
Dawn Baynes said:

Dawn,
I know a man with DMD who has a family. They have a little girl and are expecting again. He's close to 30 and has limited movement of his upper body, but it's there. He sure gives me hope. I speak to his mom quite a bit and she's quite open regarding his childhood and life with it thus far.

Naomi
She definitely is a DMD carrier since her father has DMD. She inherited the X chromosome with the gene mutation from her father. All the girls of fathers with DMD will be carriers.

Liisa Underwood said:
How is the little girl? Does she have DMD or now a carrier?

Joshua's mom said:
Dawn Baynes said:

Dawn,

Naomi
Yes, she is a carrier, but she is the happiest little girl you'll ever meet.

Naomi

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service