New stem cells found in mice's skeletal muscles

New muscle stem cell found in mice

....-supported researchers in France have discovered a previously unknown type of muscle stem cell in mice that may play an important role in muscle regeneration and repair. Researchers David Sassoon, Giovanna Marazzi and Edgar Gomes at Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris discovered the stem cells in an area between muscle fibers. When they injected purified versions of the cells into injured leg muscles of mice, they formed new muscle tissue, but also generated many new versions of themselves.

If the stem cells exist in humans as they do in mice, they could form the basis of new molecule-based therapies or be used for cell transplantation in the treatment of muscular dystrophies.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice side of this form of tratment is that would help to treat sympthomes in all muscular dystophies.Also probably some other disease with sympthomes of muscle atrophy.
There is also company Athersis INC (valid company .b/c Pfizer signed contrackt with them and paid them already 6 milllions) which developed something they call MultiStem and they overcomed the problem of immuno -rejecktion .Please read more ;

We are developing MultiStem®, a patented and proprietary stem cell product for the treatment of multiple distinct disease indications including myocardial infarction, oncology treatment support (such as leukemia or lymphoma patients that receive a bone marrow transplant, and are at risk for developing GvHD), ischemic stroke, and a range of conditons involving immune system function, such as inflammatory bowel disease or other autoimmune diseases. MultiStem is a biologic product that is manufactured from human stem cells obtained from adult bone marrow or other nonembryonic tissue sources. Unlike other cell types, after isolation from a qualified donor MultiStem may be expanded on a large scale for future clinical use and stored in frozen form until needed. Cells obtained from a single donor require no genetic modification and may be used to produce banks yielding hundreds of thousands to millions of doses of MultiStem – an amount far greater than other stem cell types can achieve. Each bank is extensively characterized to ensure product consistency and safety.MultiStem consists of a special class of human stem cells that have the ability to express a range of therapeutically relevant proteins and other factors, as well as form multiple cell types. Factors expressed by MultiStem have the potential to deliver a therapeutic benefit in several ways, such as the reduction of inflammation, protection of damaged or injured tissue, and the formation of new blood vessels in regions of ischemic injury. These cells exhibit a drug-like profile in that they act primarily through the production of factors that regulate the immune system, protect damaged or injured cells, promote tissue repair and healing and most or all of the cells are cleared from the body over time.During several years of preclinical work, MultiStem has demonstrated the potential to address each of the fundamental limitations observed with traditional bone marrow or hematopoietic stem cell transplants. These limitations include the historical requirement for tissue matching between donor and patient, the typical need for one donor for each patient (a reflection of the inability to expand cells in a controlled and reproducible manner), frequent use of immune suppressive drugs to avoid rejection or immune system complications, and a range of other potential safety issues.

We believe that MultiStem represents a potential best-in-class stem cell therapy because it exhibits each of the following characteristics based on research and development to date: (1) it may be produced on an industrial scale, in a well validated and reproducible manner; (2) it may be administered without tissue matching or the need for immune suppressive drugs, making it analogous to type O blood; (3) it exhibits a consistent safety profile; and (4) it appears capable of delivering a therapeutic benefit through more than one mechanism of action. Factors expressed by MultiStem are believed to reduce inflammation and regulate immune system function, protect damaged or injured cells and tissue, promote formation of new blood vessels, and augment tissue repair and healing in other ways. Based upon work that we and independent collaborators have conducted over the past several years, we believe that MultiStem has the potential to treat a range of disease indications, including ischemic injury and cardiovascular disease, certain neurological diseases, autoimmune disease, transplant support (including in oncology patients), and a range of orphan disease indications
I sent e-mail to this company asking if Mulistem would work in sceletal muscles but I still didn't get answer.That was 2 weeks ago. I also sent e-mail to few other people and from some I never get answer also.
BOZ4J said:
Hi Boz,

Thanks for posting this! Not sure how long it will take for this approach to reach our boys but I suspect stem cells will be here eventually. Haven't seen your postings in quite awhile, hope all is well with you!!
cheryl
We can't deliver dystrophin for so long time , it would be easier as we deliver "new muscle cells" . Just think about this. We have some much trouble last 20 years to fit dystrophin gene or make our kids body to produce more dystrophin , this one we work the closest it would be truncated anyway and not sufficient to make the muscles work . With the advantage of the science we can and should start working on delivering new muscles cells to power the waisted .It would be more sufficient and current developings in science are showing that it is possible . Trials are always 10 years behind the new science. I read about it and it makes sense that it is truly like that. Before we prove the old concepts , science is ahead with new ideas, new discoveries. We should grasp those new ideas tightly, even if this would meant to leave behind some old concepts. You may call me devils advocate , but I am telling this today and now.You may mark this post and ask me to eat my shoe 10 years from now.Utrophin, exon skipping and avv vectors loaded with partial dystrophin would not help our kids efficiently ..All parents, all organisations and all money should be as fast as possible invested in stem cell research for DMD. There should be round table between few scientists. DR.Cussou and his team and people from those 2 links mentioned in this thread and maybe few other.Athersis people looks like overcomed problem of immune rejection of donor cells, which is crucial in case of our kids. All those people if talk together and maybe work corabolaterly would find the way and the right cells to deliver to our kids muscles. Everything else currently in developments , as of today is meaningless. It is nobodys foult that science is changing. It would be our foult , if we let DMD KIDS be left behind.

cheryl cliff said:
Hi Boz,

Thanks for posting this! Not sure how long it will take for this approach to reach our boys but I suspect stem cells will be here eventually. Haven't seen your postings in quite awhile, hope all is well with you!!
cheryl
I think your words are correct Boz, I won't be asking you to eat your shoe in 10 years. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service