There is a new van on the market that looks great for wheel chair transport called the MV-1 from a US company called VPG.  I will attach the PDF or try searching MV-1 vehicle. Looks very intreaging and does not need an adaptation!

Steve

http://vpgautos.com

Views: 445

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Response to Brian Denger, Steve and Ann (plus every one else who reads this)

I felt the need to point out a few things. The MV-1 is built to handle much weight. It is built with the strongest ramp in the industry and is truly the only mid size vehicle with accessiblity that can tow a trailer. the MV-1 is built to handle six riders, including someone in a power chair and still has the capacity to tow a boat or trailer. No OEM vehicle can say the same thing after conversion. Remember I am not comparing to a full size commercial vehicle that was designed to move cargo not people. Ann, not only would you never bottom out your MV-1 but even if you did (literally impossible) our Body On Frame Design protects the undercarriage of the vehicle completely. Also your ramp is under the floor but above the frame. Conversions hide the ramp under the floor but below the frame exposed to all the elements on the road in all seasons. There is truly no comparison.

The horse Power of the MV-1 will leave noone wanting more. It is built and designed to do the job we are asking of it. It may take some time for all of us to realize but someone actually took all our needs into consideration and have answered the majority of peoples concerns. The company, VPG, just won the prestegious Da Vinci Award for the design and production of a inclusive product that met all Universal Design principals. This is the first Auto Manufacture to ever win.

What we have coming people, is a car that was engineered and designed to perform for everyone. That includes people with disabilities. Its a change in our vernacular but it is about time someone took notice of the needs of the few over the many.

The MV-1 has been tested for the past four years, in all conditions and will not only perform but exceed everyones expectations.

My name is Nick Grande, I am the President that Steve referred to in this blog. I encourage you to contact me with any questions or comments. We are a different OEM, with a different plan. Try us. I think Steve will agree, we answer all calls immediately and return every email in a timely fashion. Hey, I'm waiting for Steve to call me back!!

thank you everyone,

Nick Grande
President, CEO

www.motiongroup.ca
www.vpgautos.com
Nick Grande

I do like the looks of this vehicle. Built for the needs of the families with special needs and circumstances. We do not fit into the conventional vehicle and its about time manufactures have taken notice. Nick, sorry I have not gotten back to you about the sizing, I just need to know if it is possible to accommodate two mid wheel power chairs. We currently fit both chairs into a Grand Caravan with the middle and rear seats out. I do not like the thought of going to a full size van and a full conversion. The cost for this is high and the fuel mileage is low. I will give you a call soon.

Cheers

Steve Beaulieu
Whitehorse, YT Canada

Steve
Hi Nick,

I was wondering if the jump seat was removable. I think without the jump seat one could put two power chairs side by side?!? What do you think? Also does the vehicle come with restraining devices or are they added later? Q-straint has a good track system I think would work well.

Steve

Nick Grande said:
Response to Brian Denger, Steve and Ann (plus every one else who reads this)

I felt the need to point out a few things. The MV-1 is built to handle much weight. It is built with the strongest ramp in the industry and is truly the only mid size vehicle with accessiblity that can tow a trailer. the MV-1 is built to handle six riders, including someone in a power chair and still has the capacity to tow a boat or trailer. No OEM vehicle can say the same thing after conversion. Remember I am not comparing to a full size commercial vehicle that was designed to move cargo not people. Ann, not only would you never bottom out your MV-1 but even if you did (literally impossible) our Body On Frame Design protects the undercarriage of the vehicle completely. Also your ramp is under the floor but above the frame. Conversions hide the ramp under the floor but below the frame exposed to all the elements on the road in all seasons. There is truly no comparison.

The horse Power of the MV-1 will leave noone wanting more. It is built and designed to do the job we are asking of it. It may take some time for all of us to realize but someone actually took all our needs into consideration and have answered the majority of peoples concerns. The company, VPG, just won the prestegious Da Vinci Award for the design and production of a inclusive product that met all Universal Design principals. This is the first Auto Manufacture to ever win.

What we have coming people, is a car that was engineered and designed to perform for everyone. That includes people with disabilities. Its a change in our vernacular but it is about time someone took notice of the needs of the few over the many.

The MV-1 has been tested for the past four years, in all conditions and will not only perform but exceed everyones expectations.

My name is Nick Grande, I am the President that Steve referred to in this blog. I encourage you to contact me with any questions or comments. We are a different OEM, with a different plan. Try us. I think Steve will agree, we answer all calls immediately and return every email in a timely fashion. Hey, I'm waiting for Steve to call me back!!

thank you everyone,

Nick Grande
President, CEO

www.motiongroup.ca
www.vpgautos.com
Looking forward to our conversation. the answer may be "yes" for both your sons chairs. It depends on the length of each chair. Son #1 will be able to ride shot gun. Son #2 could be able to fit right behind him.

this configuration will be allow your third son the complete freedom of the rear bench seat with Mom or Dad.

Please note that the rear compartment has not been affected and there is still ample cargo space (best in class).

Lastly, and a lot of people dont talk about this as it has not been available until now but the MV-1 has complete towing capacity unlike the traditional converted vehicles available. Because the vehicle is "purpose built" and has conformed to all the Universal Design Principals we were able to build the vehicle with the gas tank exactly where you would expect it. Secondly, since there is no conversion we have not used any of The GVWR that is available. In short, that means that we can tow boats, trailers, utility trailers etc to increase storage needs and to just enjoy life at its fullest. I bring this up because the pictures on your profile sure show that you and your family enjoy life.

Looking forward to our continued discussions,

Nick Grande
President, CEO
Motion Group of Companies
motiongroup.ca
vpgautos.com
Absolutley the jump seat can be removed. The jump seat is an option and you do not need to buy the model if it is not needed. Also, the production model (different then the pictures you see on the net) has a very new jump seat that literally folds right into the drivers seat and takes up almost no interior or floor space.

Once I get the length of the boys chairs I can confirm the occupancy status for you. Even their model of chair will help me and I can chase the size down.

Curious question, do you use MediChair in Whitehorse as your DME supplier?

Nick
Nick
Great communicating this way!

We do use MediChair out of Vancouver as the Whitehorse dealer is very small time. They have been good. The chairs are the Pride Quantum 6000Z Mid wheel drive. Height is not an issue as the boys, like most DMD kids, are short. The boys heads barely come over the head rests. I will try to find the distentions on the web as the boys are at school. Would you consider having us test the vehicle here in the Yukon winter? I was thinking- real family, real winter conditions, northern Canada type of scenario. I usually pull a small boat or a trailer, hunt and fish with the kids etc. Just an Idea.

Steve

Nick Grande said:
Absolutley the jump seat can be removed. The jump seat is an option and you do not need to buy the model if it is not needed. Also, the production model (different then the pictures you see on the net) has a very new jump seat that literally folds right into the drivers seat and takes up almost no interior or floor space.

Once I get the length of the boys chairs I can confirm the occupancy status for you. Even their model of chair will help me and I can chase the size down.

Curious question, do you use MediCahir in Whitehorse as your DME supplier?

Nick
Hello Steve, I also like talking this way (on the phone would be nice too!!) I like this forum as more people are hopefully reading this and learning about the New MV-1.

I didnt answer one of your questions. Q'Straint has been part of the development team since day one and the vehicle comes fully equipped with the restraints for one passenger and the tracks in place for two.

I am going to call our mutual friend Mike Smith, from Burnaby/Vancouver MediChair store to discuss your sons chairs and their needs to help us move further along.

Regarding the test pilot in White Horse: Unfortunately this is not an option. The vehicle must meet Transport Canada standards before being allowed on the road under any circumstances. Once we meet Standards there is a waiting list for deliverable/sold models across Canada and the United States. We have actually almost built out production for year one as the demand for purpose built is spreading fast. The vehicle has been subjected to ALTOONA testing which includes all extreme conditions. We chose Thompson, Manitoba to do the cold test!! Brrrrr. The ramp was a solid block of ice as we sprayed it down with water, left the doors open over night. In the morning we started the vehicle, allowed 10 minutes to warm up and deployed the ramp with no issues.

Towing is another issue. We are currently certifying the trailer hitch to meet North American Safety Standards. In short, all the final testing is being completed now.

the only options that will be made available from the factory are seen on the website. Motion Group has developed a transfer seat and hand controls for "own drivers", the trailer hitch and remote FOB's to deploy ramp, open doors and tailgate and of course, start the car.

Steve, since I have a motive (and the whole membership can read this anyway) would you mind spreading the word within our group so we can stimulate more conversation and discussion? I know I work with the most reactive and special OEM in the world. More information will only help us do a better job. thank you inadvance.

Some more great news for you possibly Steve. We are displaying the MV-1 in Vancouver at the link listed below:

http://www.cutaactu.ca/en/eventsandawards/conferences.asp
(cut and paste into your browser)

Nick Grande
Nick,

Thanks for your reply and info. We will defiantly go look at the vehicle in Vancouver. We are down there next week. Is the vehicle in Vancouver now? I am glad you have been testing the vehicle in our winter conditions. Thompson gets some weather for sure, however, Ill give it the real Yukon test drive! Will the vehicle be available in the U.S. soon? I have close access to Anchorage Alaska or could have it shipped from Seattle to Skagway on the boat. When will the MV-1 be available in Canada?

I will be talking to the DMD community about the vehicle.

Thanks

Steve

Nick Grande said:
Hello Steve, I also like talking this way (on the phone would be nice too!!) I like this forum as more people are hopefully reading this and learning about the New MV-1.

I didnt answer one of your questions. Q'Straint has been part of the development team since day one and the vehicle comes fully equipped with the restraints for one passenger and the tracks in place for two.

I am going to call our mutual friend Mike Smith, from Burnaby/Vancouver MediChair store to discuss your sons chairs and their needs to help us move further along.

Regarding the test pilot in White Horse: Unfortunately this is not an option. The vehicle must meet Transport Canada standards before being allowed on the road under any circumstances. Once we meet Standards there is a waiting list for deliverable/sold models across Canada and the United States. We have actually almost built out production for year one as the demand for purpose built is spreading fast. The vehicle has been subjected to ALTOONA testing which includes all extreme conditions. We chose Thompson, Manitoba to do the cold test!! Brrrrr. The ramp was a solid block of ice as we sprayed it down with water, left the doors open over night. In the morning we started the vehicle, allowed 10 minutes to warm up and deployed the ramp with no issues.

Towing is another issue. We are currently certifying the trailer hitch to meet North American Safety Standards. In short, all the final testing is being completed now.

the only options that will be made available from the factory are seen on the website. Motion Group has developed a transfer seat and hand controls for "own drivers", the trailer hitch and remote FOB's to deploy ramp, open doors and tailgate and of course, start the car.

Steve, since I have a motive (and the whole membership can read this anyway) would you mind spreading the word within our group so we can stimulate more conversation and discussion? I know I work with the most reactive and special OEM in the world. More information will only help us do a better job. thank you inadvance.

Some more great news for you possibly Steve. We are displaying the MV-1 in Vancouver at the link listed below:

Nick Grande
Hello again,

The vehicle is available for viewing on the dates at the show. November 13th to 17th in Vancouver.

the vehicle should be available for sale in Canada in April 2011. US vehicles are not allowed to be imported under any conditions into Canada. There is no price advantage or difference between the two nations and the dollar is literally at par value.

I beleive you when you state that Yukon would be a great test facility. I will see what the engineers are saying and what is left needed. The City of Winnipeg and The Province of Quebec have offered the same pilot projects with very large number of units to ensure the test is proper. One vehicle test would only determine how one vehicle performed. We need 60 to 150 units to perform real statisical data and information.

I have been playing phone tag with Mike from Medichair so I am trying something else now so I can answer your questions.

Nick

steve beaulieu said:
Nick,

Thanks for your reply and info. We will defiantly go look at the vehicle in Vancouver. We are down there next week. Is the vehicle in Vancouver now? I am glad you have been testing the vehicle in our winter conditions. Thompson gets some weather for sure, however, Ill give it the real Yukon test drive! Will the vehicle be available in the U.S. soon? I have close access to Anchorage Alaska or could have it shipped from Seattle to Skagway on the boat. When will the MV-1 be available in Canada?

Thanks

Steve

Nick Grande said:

Nick Grande
I will go view the MV-1 in Vancouver during those dates. I really think you should consider placing some test vehicles in the extreme north, ie Yukon, NWT. We experience winter conditions like no where else in North America.
I have driven at -63C here in Yukon, although only for an hr. or so after letting the van warm up for over an hour. Tires at this temperature are usually square and hydrolic lines and seals commonly blow out. We try to keep the driving to a minimum during the cold spells as it gets very expensive in repair costs. Vehicles here are equipped with block heaters, battery blankets and oil pan heaters. Most vehicles will not start in the morning at -30c or colder if not plugged in, and this temp is very common here from November to March.

Just food for thought. I love the fact that a company has taken the initiative to put out this type of vehicle and I am quite frankly excited to drive one. With our baby boomer generation getting older there is more then just kids in chairs that will benefit from this kind of vehicle for years to come. I like the warranty as well.

Cheers to Nick and the crew!

Steve

Nick Grande said:
Hello again,

The vehicle is available for viewing on the dates at the show. November 13th to 17th in Vancouver.

the vehicle should be available for sale in Canada in April 2011. US vehicles are not allowed to be imported under any conditions into Canada. There is no price advantage or difference between the two nations and the dollar is literally at par value.

I beleive you when you state that Yukon would be a great test facility. I will see what the engineers are saying and what is left needed. The City of Winnipeg and The Province of Quebec have offered the same pilot projects with very large number of units to ensure the test is proper. One vehicle test would only determine how one vehicle performed. We need 60 to 150 units to perform real statisical data and information.

I have been playing phone tag with Mike from Medichair so I am trying something else now so I can answer your questions.

Nick

steve beaulieu said:
Nick,

Thanks

Steve

Nick Grande said:

Nick Grande
Nick,

Can you put photos of the interior on your website? If they're out there I can't find them.

Who will be authorized to perform warranty service?

Website says it's a Ford engine. I assume you purchase the transmission as well. Who from? How about other major components? Any from other OEM's?

Do you have any in the field yet? How many?

Where can you test drive one?

Have these been through crash testing and meet FMVSS standards? (FYI - I am an automotive engineer in Detroit)

Thanks, Keith
Hello Keith,

There is not a lot of interior pictures on our website. I cannot change the website at this time however I will post some interior shots myself on this site for everyone to see.

Ok so here goes the Car Salesman answering the engineers questions:

1. Who will be authorized to perform warranty service?

Warranty will be supported nationally. We are currently in negotiations with major service providers across both nations and announcements are coming soon.

2. Website says it's a Ford engine. I assume you purchase the transmission as well. Who from? How about other major components? Any from other OEM's?

The website has a lot of information that you may have missed. We use the rear transmission from the 4.6L engine setup. The vehicle has been engineered with many common parts to ensure ease of maintenance and availablity of parts. The frame/platform, body panels and all accessible components are unique to the MV-1.

VPG has extensive relationships with many of the major OEM parts suppliers.

3. Have these been through crash testing and meet FMVSS standards? (FYI - I am an automotive engineer in Detroit)
We are currently completing our crash test requirements to achieve our FMVSS and CMVSS standards. VPG has been working with Triad Engineering in Troy Michigan during development and Roush (www.roush.com) has been completing our crash tests.

The MV-1 meets or exceeds all ADA and D409 (Canadian Equivilent) Standards. AM General is our assembly facility and will administer the warranty and technical support of the MV-1 through our North American Service Provider.

4. Do you have any in the field yet? How many?

No vehicles have been produced for service yet. Our factory is tooled and ready and has built a large number of units both for testing the line and to crash test. We have been performing independent testing for two years and we are confident our vehicle will be known for its durability and accessibility.

5. Where can you test drive one?

The MV-1 tour across America may be coming to cities near you. Within the coming months a distribution and service plan will be announced and test drive facilities will be located across North America.

http://www.vpgautos.com/vpg-company/mv-1-newsletter-alerts
http://www.facebook.com/mv1

I hope I answered your questions and look forward to more from everyone. Please sign up to our website for newsletters and follow the wheels across America tour stops. Join facebook and see even more.

My email and phone number can be found on the website for any further information. Please feel free to ask.

http://www.vpgautos.com/vpg-company/partnerships

Thank you for continuing this open dialogue. I look forward to more people joining in. Please ask all your friends @PPMD to follow us and join in.

Nick Grande
President, CEO

The Motion Group of Companies
www.motiongroup.ca

and

Proud Distributor of the New MV-1
www.vpgautos.com

Keith Van Houten said:
Nick,

Can you put photos of the interior on your website? If they're out there I can't find them.

Who will be authorized to perform warranty service?

Website says it's a Ford engine. I assume you purchase the transmission as well. Who from? How about other major components? Any from other OEM's?

Do you have any in the field yet? How many?

Where can you test drive one?

Have these been through crash testing and meet FMVSS standards? (FYI - I am an automotive engineer in Detroit)

Thanks, Keith

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service