Max will need a medic alert bracelet since he will be starting steroids soon. Does anyone have a vendor they can recommend that sells child-friendly styles and small sizes? Any other info I need to know? Thanks!

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We got Seph's at:  MEDICAL ID STORE  Keep in mind you need this not only for steroids, but also since our boys should not have inhaled anesthesia....(thats a DMD thing...not a steorid thing).  Good luck on the steroid

Lori, can you tell me what Seph's says exactly? I know there are limits on the number of characters they can include ... Thanks for the info!

We got Sam's from http://fiddledeeids.com

His is just a plain metal chain one, but they have many other designs. You can also have each side of the tag engraves. Ours has 7 or 8 lines of text so we could get lots of info on it.

I got ours through mhause.org  since there is the Malignant Hyperthermia issue and gets him registered with this group.  Connor also has medication allergies, so it is a lot to put on one bracelet.  http://www.laurenshope.com/category/128/boys-medical-alert-ids  I like this one too.

I will have to look at it tonight and tell you.

Veronica E. said:

Lori, can you tell me what Seph's says exactly? I know there are limits on the number of characters they can include ... Thanks for the info!

We got ours from www.idtags.biz.  For the anesthesia ours reads "NO succinylcholine or inhalational anesthetics.  Susceptible to Malignant Hyperthermia."
I forgot to look!! so sorry!  But, the one below for Malignant Hyperthermia is right. I also have my cell # on the tag and the name and hospital for Dr. Wong (that who we see for DMD). Ours you can write on front and back...so we did....

Lori Ware said:
I will have to look at it tonight and tell you.

Veronica E. said:

Lori, can you tell me what Seph's says exactly? I know there are limits on the number of characters they can include ... Thanks for the info!I for

Does anyone have DMD listed on the medical alert bracelet?  I also am trying to find a bracelet and what exactly to write (he's not on steriods yet but will be in January).  Connor also has Dr. Wong.  Should we put her contact info on there too?

Here's what Andrea in Dr. Wong's office said when I e-mailed her about verbiage:

"I would have the diagnosis placed on the bracelet and that child is taking steroids, and add child should not have  inhaled anesthesia agents. If you would like to place a phone number you could use 1 -513-803-3000-neuromuscular center."

I am going to be more specific about anasthesia and use the verbiage cvita uses (thanks!), and include my cell number and Dr. Wong's name and number.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys! Now I need to get busy and place the order!

One more question: Did you guys go with bracelets or necklaces? I'm trying to decide which option Max would tolerate better, the necklace (which I think he might forget about more easily) or the bracelet.

One company I talked to said they recommended the waterproof style bracelet for little ones (a velcro bracelet with paper inserts you just write on) since the tag itself takes up a lot of bracelet room. It seems to me that a permanent engraved message would be preferable. Opinions?

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

I personally did a braclet for my 3 1/2 year old from fiddledeeids (it's metal) and less than $20 with shipping with 4 lines on the front and 5 on the back. Since he can't do the clasp and he can do the velcro, I thought there was a better chance for it staying on. I was just imagining him playing with velcro more than a metal bracket that he can't undo. :)
My friends husband is a paramedic and he told us NOT to use a necklace. Only the braclet, when its an emergency that is the first place they look. You dont want them second guessing or thinking its just a necklace. It must stand out as a medic braclet. I was also told that by a medic at the fire station.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service