In the fall of 2009, I emailed one of the researchers at Johns Hopkins who was looking into Losartan, and he informed me that he thought a DMD trial for Losartan was expected to begin in 2010. However, I have not heard anything in response to some further email inquiries I've sent. Does anyone else have any information?

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the info is on the neuromuscular page at Nationwide Children's...here is the contact information for the study coordinator:

Coordinator
Laurence Viollet, PhD

(614) 355-2695
http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/gene-therapy-clinical-studies

Cardiomyopathy in Patients with Duchenne Muscular DystrophyDescription

A double-blind randomized clinical trial of lisinopril versus losartan is proposed. Both drugs are known to be effective for the treatment of dilated cardiomyopathy. ACEi have both delayed the onset and progression of left ventricle dysfunction in children with DMD.

Study Doctors

Jerry R. Mendell, MD

Zarife Sahenk, MD, PhD

Roula al-Dahhak, MD

Gloria M. Galloway, MD

Coordinator
Laurence Viollet, PhD

(614) 355-2695
thanks. It looks like the inclusion criteria requires some evidence of existing heart dysfunction.
Those of you with boys that are taking Losartan prophylactically-did you have any trouble getting your insurance to pay for it? And have you noticed any side effects? I was talking to a doctor I work with and he said (well, for adults anyway) he would just wonder if it would lower the blood pressure too much (although my son's runs high anyway), and that you would have to monitor the kidney function.
Hi Tina,

I am thinking of starting losarton for my son who is almost 10.He is on deflazacort and any info will help from size of the dose to how best to take it.

Thankyou

Regards

Neeraj
Our insurance pays for the drug and we have not noticed any side effects.

Hi,

Could you tell me if you notice any improvement on Losartan?

Thank you very much

Tina said:

Dr. Chris Spurney, cardiologist at CNMC in Washington, DC is suppose to run the losartan trial at CNMC. He may be coordinating all efforts with the Hopkins team. Atleast this is my understanding from a recent meeting I attended. I have no idea when this trial will launch off the ground. My son is taking 50mg at bedtime and tolertaing the drug without experiencing any adverse side effects thus far. He was started on the drug in July 2009. I handed Dr. Leshner, our son's neurologist at CNMC, several articles re: the losartan's effects in muscle in mdx models and then dog models. He finally consented to writing the prescription for the drug. At first, our son was prescribed 12.5mg daily then the dosage was slowly increased to where he is now, at 50mg daily. Feel free to inbox me if you are interested in receiving the articles. I can email them to you.

Paul - UC Davis in Sacramento is starting (finally!) the trial to compare Losartan vs. Linosopril (the ACE Inhibitor Sharon mentions below). They are recruiting participants now.

Losartan Decreases Cardiac Muscle Fibrosis and Improves Cardiac Function in Dystrophin-Deficient Mdx Mice

Christopher F. Spurney, Arpana Sali, Alfredo D. Guerron, Micaela Iantorno, Qing Yu, Heather Gordish-Dressman, Sree Rayavarapu, Jack van der Meulen, Eric P. Hoffman, and Kanneboyina Nagaraju - USA

Recent studies showed that chronic administration of losartan, an angiotensin II type I receptor antagonist, improved skeletal muscle function in dystrophin-deficient mdx mice. In this study, C57BL/10ScSn-Dmdmdx/J female mice were either untreated or treated with losartan (n = 15) in the drinking water at a dose of 600 mg/L over a 6-month period. Cardiac function was assessed via in vivo high frequency echocardiography and skeletal muscle function was assessed using grip strength testing, Digiscan monitoring, Rotarod timing, and in vitro force testing. Fibrosis was assessed using picrosirius red staining and Image J analysis. Gene expression was evaluated using real-time polymerized chain reaction (RT-PCR). Percentage shortening fraction was significantly decreased in untreated (26.9% ± 3.5%) mice compared to losartan-treated (32.2% ± 4.2%; P < .01) mice. Systolic blood pressure was significantly reduced in losartan-treated mice (56 ± 6 vs 69 ± 7 mm Hg; P < .0005). Percentage cardiac fibrosis was significantly reduced in losartan-treated hearts (P < .05) along with diaphragm (P < .01), extensor digitorum longus (P < .05), and gastrocnemius (P < .05) muscles compared to untreated mdx mice. There were no significant differences in skeletal muscle function between treated and untreated groups. Chronic treatment with losartan decreases cardiac and skeletal muscle fibrosis and improves cardiac systolic function in dystrophin-deficient mdx mice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service