I have heard it's normal for our boys to have high AST and ALT counts but was wondering how high is too high. The normal AST levels are 23-58 but my son has a level of 380. The normal ALT levels are 4-45 and my son's is 558. They just seem way to elevated for my comfort so I was curious what the normal is for DMD boys. TIA!

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These are very much in the same range my son had before we even knew about the DMD diagnosis. The muscle breakdown creates these elevated numbers, not the liver. We were told to check his numbers as part of his normal yearly physical with the pediatrician. If the numbers jump abnormally, then look again at the liver. His numbers have hovered between 300-600 for about 3 years now. All scans, other liver tests including a biopsy and MRI all prove his liver is in great condition. So in our case, if we see his numbers jump more than 800, we'll return to the Peds GI.

Hope this helps.
I don't remember what our son's were, but we ended up having a liver biopsy because the dr. was concerned. This was of course before we knew his situation. We need to have him tested again, but it seems to me that his count was pretty high like that though.
My son's were AST 326 & ALT 464. I was told this was "normal" for boys with DMD.
hI MY SON ALSO HAS HIGH AST /ALT .BUT MY GI DR DID GGTP TESTING AND SAID THAT THIS ELEVATION IS PURELLY MUSCULAR AND THAT HIS LIVER IS FINE.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service