I sent a note tomy son's wonderful teacher about Field day...what are the dates, will anything be modified for my son?  I got a note back from the Principal (MUCH better than last year) stating that there is no way to modify the activities, but he can participate with the pre-K handicapped kids...but that would probably embarrass him.  He does sound open to ideas.

What has your school done to make Field day accessible for our boys (young enough to 'do' it, that just doesn't mean the SHOULD)...Any ideas would be great!!  Thanks!! Lori

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lori,

I don't have any suggestions for specific things, as my son's school doesnt't do Field Day (which I'm glad). But honestly, at such a young age shouldn't field day just be about everyone participating and having fun? It seems to me they could plan activities that allow everyone to participate, including the pre-K students they've singled out as too "handicapped". This is such an impressionable age for kids and would be a great a opportunity to show how everyone can be included together, not seperated based on abilites, or disabilites. I can't imagine activites at a grade school field day can't be designed to include everyone. Like I said I don't have any specific suggestions for you but I can recommend a book you might find helpful, Cooperative Games and Sports...Joyful Activities for Everyone, by Terry Orlick. It focuses on games designed around inclusion and cooperation and not win/lose activites. I hope you're able to find a solution and Seph is able to enjoy Field Day! Good luck!

Kim
Here's what happened here:
Sam's PE teacher contacted me. She gave me the entire list of activities, with explanations when needed. She had already marked some with what she knew Sam should not do. I then let her know of a few others. They had it set up as numbered stations. Each child had a card pinned to their back with all the numbers. Each number was highlight when they completed that activity. Sam's card came pre-highlighted for the activities he should not participate in. This worked so incredibly well. I also attended field day just to make doubly sure that he was okay.
We just got done with 5th grade camp - 4 days, 3 overnights - and that was no picnic either....
I always made sure I attended to monitor what Justin did and didnt do and help him out if he needed me. He was the helper on some of the things and got to blow the whistle or call out times. When he got older, at his request, it became a special day for him. We went out to eat and to a movie of his choice. I thought we were over that when he reached jr high, but our school started having incentive days. If the kids stay out of trouble and do not have too many missed days of school or tardies then they get to go. Its one day at the end of every 6 weeks. It usually is the big blow up obstacle course things. That was horrible! Then the kids raised money and bought a Wii and Justin got to pick out games. Now, he picks two or three(or more) people to play wii with him instead of incentive days!

--Samantha
My son's first grade class just did the Presidential Fitness Test. The person in charge was more than willing to modify the activities for my son, but I felt that in this case, the very nature of the test would emphasize what my son could not do that other kids could do. So, I took him out of school to go to lunch with mom during the test.
As for field day, if the activities already scheduled can't be modified, then maybe they can get creative and add some new ones. What about a frisbee throw?
I offered several things...1. let his scooter (which he does not normally bring to school) pull a wagon with an ice chest of water that we will provide 2. Have a scavenger hunt competition with clues as a competition b/w the classes or 3. Do a stand alone relay ...ball over head and then b/w the legs...The principal declined any of these and instead offered that Seph could help him start some races and/or do the lemon race....I agreed this year, but will continue to work on it for next year. His reasoning for the scavenger hunt (which I offered to pull together) was that kids only want to "play" on that day, not think!!! Heaven help we THINK at school, especially if we are having fun while doing it!!!!!

Danelle Dickerson said:
My son's first grade class just did the Presidential Fitness Test. The person in charge was more than willing to modify the activities for my son, but I felt that in this case, the very nature of the test would emphasize what my son could not do that other kids could do. So, I took him out of school to go to lunch with mom during the test.
As for field day, if the activities already scheduled can't be modified, then maybe they can get creative and add some new ones. What about a frisbee throw?
Thinking CAN be playing! I hope the principal can learn that they're not mutually exclusive -- that's important for way more than Field Day.
Can your school PT advocate for your son? As someone on the inside?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service