Any advice about one of these systerms would be wonderful.  Considering it for my son with duchenne. 

Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a great overhead lift system. However, if you do decide to use insurance to purchase them or end up paying for it out of pocket, keep in mind that you want a system that is pretty common. When I was with my husband, we had a human care lift that was almost impossible to find installers when we moved (he is in the military). so just keep that in mind.
Can you recommend one?

Linda said:
We have a great overhead lift system. However, if you do decide to use insurance to purchase them or end up paying for it out of pocket, keep in mind that you want a system that is pretty common. When I was with my husband, we had a human care lift that was almost impossible to find installers when we moved (he is in the military). so just keep that in mind.
Hi Donna. Where do you live? We have a Barrier Free Lift now for 7 yrs. and I love it! We have a regular sling and a shower sling. One person can operate it without lifting my son. Chris is now 21 yrs old.  Kathy
I live in New Rochelle New York and Thomas is 100 lbs and 25 yes old. What is the namebof your lift so I can google it.

Hi Donna,

We also have a ceiling lift.  We use Walter Fowler of Tri-State Barrier Free Lifts.  He is in NY so he would probably be your dealer.  His phone number is on the website below.  We use a "6 point" sling with head support.

http://www.tristatebarrierfreelifts.com/index.html

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Beverly

I had 2 sons with Duchenne....Ryan was 6'5, and weighed 285.  Jeremy was 6'1 and weighed 160.  The life was a life saver for us.  We had the track in their bedroom, in the hallway, in the bathroom over the bathtub and the toilet.  It was the best thing I ever fought for with the insurance company.  They denied, stating a hoyer lift could accomplish the same thing.  I appealed, and told them to send someone to my house, use it all alone, with my sons, going over carpet, through doorways, hold their froglegs together, and not turn them over in the process for 30 days, and I would concede.  However, if I injured one of my sons or myself, as I had a bulging disk in my neck at the time, then I would own Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Within 5 days I had a fax stating they would pay for it.  Don't take no for an answer with insurance.  Their first response is a no, and there are so many out there who do not know that no doesn't mean no.  Appeal it, every time, period.   I do know that Oklahoma Medicaid will not cover them any longer, they will pay for a battery powered floor lift, but their allowable is the same as for a manual lift, and they will only rent for 13 months.  The cost of the lift can be outrageous, and there are few if any agencies that will help with it.
hi tammy, were your sons on steroids? i heard those cause growth problems but your sons are fairly tall.

They were on prelone syrup every day for 3 years.  They both became overweight when they were on them, had the moon face and all that.  They also developed osteoporosis, but that could have been from the inability to walk.  They both went to a wheelchair full time at the age of 9.  The oldest fell and broke his ankle and never walked again and the youngest had heel cord release surgery, but didn't walk again afterward.  Both of the boys were tall...the oldest had really long legs, and the youngest had a long torso. 

amit gupta said:

hi tammy, were your sons on steroids? i heard those cause growth problems but your sons are fairly tall.
thank you tammy for being here.

Trust me, it is a therapy for me.  I was totally occupied by them for years, and now that they are gone, I just feel I need to be there for others.  With no family history of Duchenne, I just knew that God had a plan for me to try to help others.I really thought there would be a cure before they passed away, but that didn't happen.  So, here I am. 
amit gupta said:
thank you tammy for being here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service