Hi

I had an IEP meeting yesterday for my son Jacob who is 12. The District PT and I got into an argument he is recommending that PT be moved to a consulting basis only with a time of 4 minutes a week.

They have been teaching jacob to self stretch for the past two years and he said all of his research indicates that strecthing is only good if jacob does it alone.I brought the Stretching DVD, the CDC recommendations and everything I had was ignored.  

We do the stretching every night at home but i dont want to just have the PT on a consulting basis the special education teacher indicated that they have done that to other students and then simply say there is no need for them to come to the school as they have consulted the staff and they dont show up for the remainder of the year.

I need some advice what measureable goals can i suggest since the PT says that he doesnt have any.

Flexibility i would think but I have no idea where to go to find ways to write measurable goals for PT for a school setting.

Any Advice?

Lynnette

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think if you're getting anything at all from the school in terms of physical therapy - you're ahead.  They're only required to provide PT to enable you to benefit from the instructional program - ie, there's an educational need.  At least in my state.  I'm not sure how you go about proving that - I know some parents have done that successfully, but we haven't.  There's also the issue of taking your child away from the classroom for PT - and that gets harder to absorb the older they get. We do everything at home.

Look for "Jennifer Hernandez PT"  on Facebook.  She's a PT and might be able to help you with your question about measureable outcomes.

Our transitional IEP for Middle School just took place, and they actually increased his PT to 1x per week for 30 minutes.  She does a stretching and coordination series.  I think they believe it is necessary, and therefore covered under the IEP, to increase his safety in the building.  The more stretched he is, the more safely he can get around.  He is not planning on having a scooter.

Also, can't an end point simply be the measurement of the ankle angle?  My son's is pretty bad, -10 or -11 degrees.  It should be at at least 0, which I believe is a right angle. 

Good luck!  We have been incredibly blessed with the school's response to our situation so far.  The middle school is a whole different animal though, so we are hopeful our support from the district continues.

Regina, when you say the ankle angle measurement of -10 or -11, does that mean that your son always has his heels off the ground when he walks?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service