HONOREE? Who is an outstanding individual in the Duchenne community?

I need to find an Honoree for the Charity Gala I am planning.  Does anyone have any ideas of an outstanding, influential individual who is involved in the fight against Duchenne?  The more well-known or broader-networking the person, the better.

Thank you so much for your help!
-Morgan Eisenberg

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pat Furlong
Debra Miller
Christine McSherry are good for starters. Want more?
Dr. Lee Sweeney, Dr. Mendel at OSU, Dr. Chamberlain U of Washington. Senators who help us get funding.
I should also mention that they should be local to the Philadelphia Metropolitan area (New Jersey, Delaware, Philadephia) as the Gala will be held at the Camden Waterfront Adventure Aquarium. I'd rather get people who are not involved with DMD because of their occupation (doctors, PPMD workers) but rather are involved because they feel it is the right thing to do. I have talked to Senator Lautenberg but he's not sure about his schedule for that day...

And thank you for all the suggestions thus far =)
Even docs and those recieving pay to fight duchenne (ie Pat, Debra, Christine) do this because they have (or had) sons with duchenne and KNOW it is the right thing to do. No doubt any one of them, or all of them, would be able to travel to your Gala.

Morgan Eisenberg said:
I should also mention that they should be local to the Philadelphia Metropolitan area (New Jersey, Delaware, Philadephia) as the Gala will be held at the Camden Waterfront Adventure Aquarium. I'd rather get people who are not involved with DMD because of their occupation (doctors, PPMD workers) but rather are involved because they feel it is the right thing to do. I have talked to Senator Lautenberg but he's not sure about his schedule for that day...

I should say, Cheryl, that the Gala is for PPMD so PPMD workers can't be honored (it would be like PPMD honoring themselves). 1/2 of the job of the honoree is to bring in sponsors and attendees, so you really want it to be someone who has good social connections in your area. That is why it's always good to have a politician, someone high up in the business world, or someone who is some sort of a celebrity (whether it be sports, acting, music, etc.) However, it's difficult to get these kind of Honorees because Duchenne isn't a very supported cause in the limelight, unfortunately. There are very few who support the specific cause, and most don't even know what Duchenne is. That is the problem I've been having lately. Despite how much I educate them, they don't seem to want to become involved with the Gala unless they think they're going to be recognized by the general public-- and things like cancer or heart disease or juvenile diabetes are much more admired by the vast uneducated majority than Duchenne. It's such a shame =(

cheryl cliff said:
Even docs and those recieving pay to fight duchenne (ie Pat, Debra, Christine) do this because they have (or had) sons with duchenne and KNOW it is the right thing to do. No doubt any one of them, or all of them, would be able to travel to your Gala.

Morgan Eisenberg said:

Try for Mike Rowe @ www.therealmikerowe.com, you know the guy from Dirty Jobs, Discovery Channel. Tell him Alexander Cliff, age 11, recommended him for this. He was a tremendous help with our little fundraiser, just recently, with CureDuchenne. Yea, CureDuchenne isn't PPMD but we are in this together, right?

Morgan Eisenberg said:
I should say, Cheryl, that the Gala is for PPMD so PPMD workers can't be honored (it would be like PPMD honoring themselves). 1/2 of the job of the honoree is to bring in sponsors and attendees, so you really want it to be someone who has good social connections in your area. That is why it's always good to have a politician, someone high up in the business world, or someone who is some sort of a celebrity (whether it be sports, acting, music, etc.) However, it's difficult to get these kind of Honorees because Duchenne isn't a very supported cause in the limelight, unfortunately. There are very few who support the specific cause, and most don't even know what Duchenne is. That is the problem I've been having lately. Despite how much I educate them, they don't seem to want to become involved with the Gala unless they think they're going to be recognized by the general public-- and things like cancer or heart disease or juvenile diabetes are much more admired by the vast uneducated majority than Duchenne. It's such a shame =(

cheryl cliff said:

Morgan Eisenberg said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service