I was wondering if any of your boys benefitted from horse therapy or hippotherapy. In addition to his DMD related issues, my son does not have any language or communication skills. One of his therapists at school recommended that we try this. They said that it can help communication skills as well as occupational and physical needs. I was just curious if anyone had any information, or experience with this. If so, did it seem to help your sons?

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son is currently no longer walking. His therapist has a boy freind with DMD so she knows the kind of stretches to do. Another added benifit for the future for some of you is that the horses gait is very similar to a humans gait so it lets him for a short time feel like he is walking again my son said that is why he loves diong it now.
hey karen, if you find a good place for it let me know, maybe we could get them jonathan and daniel in the same one, at the same time, i only khow of 2 around here, but maybe you can find more, there is C.H.U.M, and beekman, i think chum is like dansville or something like that,
Hi, my son is 4 now and we have done horse therapy since he was 1.5 ...! we started in Venezuela. I do recommend it. Cannot tell you exact improvement but the whole thing is just great. My son has also other problems in Speech and takes OT etc.. It has helped his balance, trunk rotation, they use it also to reinforce speech and for sensory related things...

Leslie
Is there a special saddle that is used during therapy or do they just use the regular riding saddle? My uncle has a horse and would love to get Wyatt on it but he wanted to know if he needed anythin special for him. Thanks.
I know for Xavier they actually don't use a saddle at all, they use a large pad, the whole point is to feel the warmth of the animal to help with muscle relaxation, we are excited that his therapy clinic received funding to do hippotherapy for this summer again!

Jessica Rownd said:
Is there a special saddle that is used during therapy or do they just use the regular riding saddle? My uncle has a horse and would love to get Wyatt on it but he wanted to know if he needed anythin special for him. Thanks.
Hi Jessica:

To be honest with you I'm not sure but will ask when I take Jacob tomorrow. I do know that the woman who volunteer there were all specifically trained to do hippotherapy. There is really a lot of though that goes into Jacob's sessions. Jacob rides different horses because they have different gaits and sizes and that all plays a part of the session also. I will try to get more information for you.

Jessica Rownd said:
Thanks so much, Jacobs Mommom

Jacobs Mommom said:
Hi Jessica:

To be honest with you I'm not sure but will ask when I take Jacob tomorrow. I do know that the woman who volunteer there were all specifically trained to do hippotherapy. There is really a lot of though that goes into Jacob's sessions. Jacob rides different horses because they have different gaits and sizes and that all plays a part of the session also. I will try to get more information for you.

Jessica Rownd said:
In Christians case they just use a regular saddle. However they have now started using a strap that goes around him to give the helpers more ability to keep him stable.

Jessica Rownd said:

Jacobs Mommom said:
Hi Jessica:

Jessica Rownd said:
I haven't forgotten Jessica. I was sick Saturday so Jacob's mom took him but I will ask this Saturday for you.

Jessica Rownd said:

Jacobs Mommom said:
Hi Jessica:

Jessica Rownd said:
Jacobs Mommom said:
Jacob has been going for over a year now. He goes once a week for 45 minutes and he loves it. He is now riding a horse on his own and to watch his confidence is really amazing. I have a picture of him winning second place at the Special Equestrians Rodeo this past summer on my page.

I definitely believe that it has helped him with his balance and with his gait when walking. It really amazes everyone there as to the progress that he's made.

When he first started you would see him go around the ring sitting frontways, then sideways, then backwards and then to the other side to help him learn to center himself.

He is definitely more confident with himself then he was before.

I would also recommend getting him a Power Wing. If you google it you will see what it is.
It moves by standing on it and holding the handle bars and moving your hips from side to side. The girls at Special Equestrians saw it and said it gives them the same motion as riding a horse and they love to ride it. Jacob is a real ham on his and his 3 year old sister has one and loves it too. I bought one even though it says it's good up to 140 pounds only, (I'm 180) and we took them to the park and did them together along the bike path. It's much easier than riding a bike and actually much more fun.
Donna: I looked up a picture of the Power Wing and it doesn't look like something boys with DMD could do. It looks like you would need good balance and muscle coordination. How old is Jacob? My oldest grandson with DMD is 4 1/2. Terry
Hi Terry: Jacob was 7 when he got his and his little sister was 3 when she got hers. You can use the handle for balance and steering and basically they are just rocking from side to side like the motion you get on a horse that's slowly walking. I would think that your grandson would be fine on it but I don't know how physically affected he is yet from the DMD. What it helps Jacob is with core balance just like riding. And since Jacob doesn't have the strength anymore to ride a two wheel bike this is something he can keep up with the kids with. You can ride it in a straight line and go uphill with it very easily just by rocking from side to side.

Terry Porcaro said:
Donna: I looked up a picture of the Power Wing and it doesn't look like something boys with DMD could do. It looks like you would need good balance and muscle coordination. How old is Jacob? My oldest grandson with DMD is 4 1/2. Terry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service