I'm sure this has been discussed before but I have to say...I am sick and tired of trying to get a handicapp VAN Acessible parking spot and finding a car..with no lift device or ramp...in that parking spot! Do you guys have the same problem and if so, any advice?

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Janine
She did have a placard. She didnt have it in her window. She showed it to him after.

Michelle
People can get placards for any disability....Dr.'s really are giving them out to anyone these days! But, they aren't for just non-ambulatory individuals.....I do see many people and wonder why they have one or even need one.....when they can get out of their car and walk around the any mall or store for hrs......don't see them being too disabled.....some have them for heart conditons, others who knows why.....back to the handicap spaces...where my son has a motorized wheelchair and even if it weren't motorized and say I had just a manuel chair ( I am not disabled and I can push him ) and there aren't any handicap spaces it doesn't bother me to park alittle bit away in a non handicap accessible space ( take up 2 spaces if you have too ) and we just walk that distance to the store or business we are at.....I am not suggesting this for boys still walking ( but, in the same breath it won't hurt them you know if they have to walk alittle further, look at it as therapy for them ), but, if it is nice out and your son uses a motorized wheelchair it is okay if you have to part further away like where not many vehicles park....and walk that extra distance then get stressed over parking spaces not available!


tracie said:
It happened to us this morning when I took Christopher to college... There was a small car parked in the handicapped space, then a mini-van in front of me, with no placard pulled into the hash-marked area next to the handicapped spot..she let her able-bodied son out and in the meantime, the small car began to back out of the handicapped spot. I went up to her car and mentioned that the hash-mark area is for ramps and is not a parking space. She said that her son is hearing-impaired and that she didn't have her placard because she was in a rental car and besides, she was only going to be there for 20 seconds. I'm just curious, I didn't know that you can get a handicapped parking placard for a hearing impairment. I tried googling it just out of curiosity, but didn't find anything. Oh well...I kind of felt bad all the way home for saying something to her...sometimes, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut...but..she shouldn't have been parking in what was not a space anyway!

jessica and gary fluaitt said:
It happens to us all the time and its very frustrating,last time I was at walmart there was no handicap spots open and then I come to a van acessible spot and there is this little car parked there so I pulled in on an angle and parked in the same spot guess I could have gotten a ticket or something but I didn't luckily. So I guess there is no good solution but I don't think cars should park in a van spot.
I know this whole parking thing is frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things, there will be many many more frustrating things to come along with dmd down the road. Dont let the parking issues get you down. Oh and I think people with hearing loss definitely need handicapped parking. I wouldnt want anyone deaf or partially deaf having to walk too far! eople drive crazy these days!!

--Samantha
I am thinking of printing a few of these to keep in my car, just in case I need them:

http://teensreadandblogtoo.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/98212stupidi...

Ang ;~)
Linda, speaking of a van. Can I ask, where did you get yours? I have been looking for a while now for a way to transport Austins chair in the van. I've looked into having ours modified, and I've also looked into just selling mine and trading it in for one that is already modified. What's the best way to do this?

On the handicap spaces.... I constantly find spaces taken up at my local walmart with someone still sitting in the drivers seat waiting on someone!!! This gets me so frustrated. I may not know the circumstances but it just doesnt seem right when there are not any other spaces! And we have to use the little blue baskets for Austin cause I cant transport his chair yet. Half of the time I can never find those either. I know their not nessecarily for handicap but for younger kids, but, well, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Ana
I wanted to say that my husband is hearing impaired and he has been his entire life and has never needed a handicap placard. We have one for our son (he is just 4) because it's very difficult for him to walk for longer distance. At the mall for instance, he may start out walking but within 5 minutes he needs his handicap stroller. At the grocery store, I let him walk for a handicap place into the store and then he uses a cart to ride around the store. We were told that someone with heart disease or ambulatory issues can get a placard. One thing that bothers me is that I get looks for parking in the space when I have Andrew. Andrew "looks" like a healthy boy and look fine so it's amazing to me the looks that I get. I actually aked someone before why they were staring and once I told them, I could tell they were embarrased.

tracie said:
It happened to us this morning when I took Christopher to college... There was a small car parked in the handicapped space, then a mini-van in front of me, with no placard pulled into the hash-marked area next to the handicapped spot..she let her able-bodied son out and in the meantime, the small car began to back out of the handicapped spot. I went up to her car and mentioned that the hash-mark area is for ramps and is not a parking space. She said that her son is hearing-impaired and that she didn't have her placard because she was in a rental car and besides, she was only going to be there for 20 seconds. I'm just curious, I didn't know that you can get a handicapped parking placard for a hearing impairment. I tried googling it just out of curiosity, but didn't find anything. Oh well...I kind of felt bad all the way home for saying something to her...sometimes, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut...but..she shouldn't have been parking in what was not a space anyway!

jessica and gary fluaitt said:
It happens to us all the time and its very frustrating,last time I was at walmart there was no handicap spots open and then I come to a van acessible spot and there is this little car parked there so I pulled in on an angle and parked in the same spot guess I could have gotten a ticket or something but I didn't luckily. So I guess there is no good solution but I don't think cars should park in a van spot.
Alissa, I know what you mean. When my family starts getting out of the van, most people see a thirty-something mom jump out followed by her 4 kids. Somehow they miss the fact that one of the kids can't get in or out of the van without being picked up. I've had people pull up and yell at me that I sure don't look like I'm handicapped. I've also had an elderly man sitting in his car, unroll his window and yell across a parking lot while I was walking my son into the doctor's office. Oh, and yes, the stares and glares. I don't mind for myself, but it is frustrating in front of my kids. They don't understand the hostility. Oh, and I never use the placard without my son.
I only use the placard when my son is with me also!

Danelle Dickerson said:
Alissa, I know what you mean. When my family starts getting out of the van, most people see a thirty-something mom jump out followed by her 4 kids. Somehow they miss the fact that one of the kids can't get in or out of the van without being picked up. I've had people pull up and yell at me that I sure don't look like I'm handicapped. I've also had an elderly man sitting in his car, unroll his window and yell across a parking lot while I was walking my son into the doctor's office. Oh, and yes, the stares and glares. I don't mind for myself, but it is frustrating in front of my kids. They don't understand the hostility. Oh, and I never use the placard without my son.
hey Ana,
Actually we had a really hard time finding our van. I know that there are places that sell used already modified vans that will allow you to finance for up to 10 years so your payments will be smaller since they are really expensive. Most insurance companies will not pay for a lift for your vehicle but we were fortunate enough to have Tricare as our insurance and they are going to pay for our lift. the problem we had was that they aren't really selling conversion vans on the lot, they have to be factory ordered and are very expensive. We had to go to rinky dink used car lots before we found ours but it was a great deal. we ended up only having to pay 5,000 for our 2002 conversion van with raised roof and the insurance is paying for the modifications. so it really depends on how much you can spend. let me know and i can find those links for you
Ana said:
Linda, speaking of a van. Can I ask, where did you get yours? I have been looking for a while now for a way to transport Austins chair in the van. I've looked into having ours modified, and I've also looked into just selling mine and trading it in for one that is already modified. What's the best way to do this?

On the handicap spaces.... I constantly find spaces taken up at my local walmart with someone still sitting in the drivers seat waiting on someone!!! This gets me so frustrated. I may not know the circumstances but it just doesnt seem right when there are not any other spaces! And we have to use the little blue baskets for Austin cause I cant transport his chair yet. Half of the time I can never find those either. I know their not nessecarily for handicap but for younger kids, but, well, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Ana

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service