Just wanted to let everyone know that I just registered with my state Dept of Health (in my case Ohio). I filled out a form and they will contact me when the vaccine is being offered in my area and where to go. They said pre-registration would save time at the immunization site. It is possible that other states are offering this.

http://h1n1vaccine.odh.ohio.gov

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's because it's a live virus. Sam doesn't receive any live virus vaccines (i.e. MMR), just those with killed viruses.

cindy q said:
What is the issue with the nasal mist? Why can't our sons have it? Can they be around others that have had the nasal mist?

Jerry Dallapè said:
Just remember that the early doses of the vaccine are a nasal mist. Our boys should never have a nasal mist vaccine, so it would be best to wait out the first round. I have no idea when the actual shot is supposed to be available.
Persons who take a daily steroid medication should not have any live vaccines. My son did have his MMR but he was not taking steroids at the time.

cindy q said:
What is the issue with the nasal mist? Why can't our sons have it? Can they be around others that have had the nasal mist?

Jerry Dallapè said:
Just remember that the early doses of the vaccine are a nasal mist. Our boys should never have a nasal mist vaccine, so it would be best to wait out the first round. I have no idea when the actual shot is supposed to be available.
Janine said:
Persons who take a daily steroid medication should not have any live vaccines. My son did have his MMR but he was not taking steroids at the time.

cindy q said:

Jerry Dallapè said:
Does anyone know if our boys can be around another child who had the swine flu mist? My son just started pre-school and I'm worried that a lot of the kids will be getting the mists, do I need to keep him home?
Well I just took my son without DMD to get the nasal spray. On the MDA website it said that caregivers, those that live in the home with people with neuromuscular disease should get the injectable vs the intranasal but when we were at the pediatrician he said that's not true and would give the intranasal to my healthy son and would only worry about that if someone in the household had just had a bone marrow transplant or something like that. So I went ahead and gave it to him. I am waiting for the injectable for my other 2 boys with DMD..they said they will probably get it by the end of the week..someone posted in texas that they are keeping their son home..mine don't have school rest of the week but if they don't get it on Friday, I will probably keep them home until they get it. my pediatrician said that it is spreading all over the place..

Tonya said:
Does anyone know if our boys can be around another child who had the swine flu mist? My son just started pre-school and I'm worried that a lot of the kids will be getting the mists, do I need to keep him home?
Our pedi told us that no one in our family should get the mist and that we should try and avoid people who had gotten the flu mist for the first 48hrs.

--Samantha
My daughter had the mist for the regular flu-our doctor thinks it's fine. I work there, also-the doctors were talking about it today and they said the same thing as said above-people who live or work with transplant patients shouldn't have the mist, but it's ok for others who live with high risk people.
I am in Colorado and didn't hear anything about pre-registration here, I will check and notify our group though. Thank you very much for the idea.

Our pediatricians office got it in on Thursday, called us and asked if we would like to bring him in on Saturday when they were giving it to their high risk patients. They did this morning, so there wouldn't be any sick kids in the office with their high risk patients. Jack has now had both flu shots and I am feeling much better about the situations.

We were at the MDA clinic, at the hospital, last Friday and they didn't have any and weren't giving any, because all the hospital had at that point was the nasal vaccine. I certainly hope the supply is more available soon!

Ang
The injectable vaccine is an inactivated virus and is being reserved and recommended for pregnant women and immunosuppressed (or other chronic condition) children. I asked my pediatrician to save one for my son when they came in. 100 doses arrived on friday oct 23 and my son got the first of two required injections (since he is under 10 he will need two). Our boys should not get the flumist. Dr wong sent me this info from the mda regarding the h1n1 flu vaccine recs and exposure to classmates who have received the flumist.

To: MDA Families
Date: Oct. 16, 2009
The H1N1 Nasal-Spray Flu Vaccine:
What Individuals with Neuromuscular Diseases Need to Know

People diagnosed with neuromuscular diseases are among those prioritized to receive the H1N1 vaccination, and the first doses of the H1N1 vaccine are now being distributed to state health departments throughout the country. While the nasal-spray flu vaccine is currently widely available, the injectable H1N1 vaccine has not yet made its way to most states for distribution. Individuals diagnosed with neuromuscular diseases should not receive the nasal-spray flu vaccine and instead should wait to receive the injectable H1N1 vaccine.

Who does the CDC recommend receive the H1N1 vaccine?
Anyone diagnosed with a neuromuscular disease and any close family members and caregivers. People who are in contact with others with severely weakened immune systems when they are being cared for in a protective environment should not receive the nasal spray vaccine. Click here for a complete list of those prioritized at higher risk of complications from H1N1.

What form of the vaccine does the CDC recommend that people with neuromuscular diseases receive?
The injectable H1N1 vaccine. The nasal mist of the H1N1 vaccine contains a live virus and, unlike the general public, individuals with neuromuscular disease are at increased risk of complications from the nasal mist vaccine.

If my child's school is administering the H1N1 vaccine, what should I do?
Parents of children with neuromuscular diseases should ensure that their child NOT receive the H1N1 vaccination via nasal mist. According to the CDC, children whose classmates are provided the nasal mist are not at an increased risk of infection due to exposure. Click here for more information about exposure to people who have received the nasal mist.

For additional questions regarding the nasal-spray flu vaccine, log onto the MDA H1N1 Resource Center.

An ounce of prevention … will help to protect you and your loved ones this flu season.
Debating pulling my son out of school until we can get him the H1N1 vaccine. 22 cases at school today. Am I being ridiculous, or safe?
Well Kian got a flu bug a few weeks ago. Put him on Tamiflu immediately and kept him home for a week. He had a cough, fever and aches. When I took him for a followup, the MD said the test came back as type A or basically H1N1. He is now fine. Rode out the storm unscathed. No one else in the family got sick either. We live in a pretty rural area. The vaccine is still not here.
True Samantha. That is why the flu mist in schools should be given on a Friday. My son just go his H1N1 injection today. There was a limited supply but he was listed as, "priority". The children at our school received the flu mist ( most of them) on a Friday. My son was back in school with them on Monday. So far so good. This was about 2 weeks ago. And, as I said, he just got the H1N1 injection today.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service