Just wanted to let everyone know that I just registered with my state Dept of Health (in my case Ohio). I filled out a form and they will contact me when the vaccine is being offered in my area and where to go. They said pre-registration would save time at the immunization site. It is possible that other states are offering this.

http://h1n1vaccine.odh.ohio.gov

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone know if the vaccine is still needed even if your child has had H1N1?
Hi Laurie, I want to ask you .your child who got infected with H1N1, he has DMD? If so, how was it and how did you know and treat him?

Laurie Paschal said:
Does anyone know if the vaccine is still needed even if your child has had H1N1?
Hi Laurie,
If he's already had it, he doesn't need the vaccine - he's already immune. You can have his titers checked to make sure, if you want. It's the same test they use to test the efficacy of the vaccine.

Is he doing OK now?

Mindy
Yes, he has DMD. It was actually a very mild flu. First sign of fever on a Tuesday morning, took straight to doc. First dose of tamiflu that morning. He was fever free by 10 a.m. Wednesday and back at school that Friday. Barely even a cough or runny nose.

My daughter had it this summer and hers followed pretty much the exact same course.

Aiede M. said:
Hi Laurie, I want to ask you .your child who got infected with H1N1, he has DMD? If so, how was it and how did you know and treat him?

Laurie Paschal said:
Yes, Mindy, he's doing great now. He was only in bed for one day. Was up and playing XBox after that until I made him go back to school.

Mindy said:
Hi Laurie,
If he's already had it, he doesn't need the vaccine - he's already immune. You can have his titers checked to make sure, if you want. It's the same test they use to test the efficacy of the vaccine.

Is he doing OK now?

Mindy
An hour ago we received a call from Justins neurologist. They are strongly recommending putting kids who are on steroids and have low lung function(Justins is at 84%) on homebound from school. We live in east Texas and the number of deaths are on the rise. They are also recommending avoiding crowds of any kind. SUch as staying out of busy stores and restaurants and avoiding movies at peak hours. So, we are following these recommendations. Justin is out of school as of today. We will reevaluate in a month. Justins school sent 10 kids home on two hours this morning. All with coughs and fevers.

--Samantha
I will be getting my vaccine as soon its available in my area.
Xavier just had it last week. His school was over 5% of the student body with it, last Thursday he was one of 50 kids out with it. Xavier is almost 8 (DMD on deflazacort) and like Lauries's son recovered really well. We noticed a mild cough on Wednesday night, and Thursday morning I checked him at 6:30am before I left for work and he had no fever, by 7:10am the nanny called me at work and his fever was 101, we were at the doctor at 9:15am and started motrin and Tamiflu by 10:30am. His fever never came back and the cough was gone by Saturday. If you catch it early and avoid a secondary infection it is not that bad. Xavier had influenza B in March (even with the flu shot) and he did really well with that also. That strain was more responsive to Relenza and we again had him at the doctor within 2 hours of the fever starting. Early intervention is the key in my opinion.
I agree Jennifer early intervention can be very helpful. No one wants their child to be sick but as a parent of an older child I worry that secondary infections would be more common. Glad your son recovered well with both.
Just remember that the early doses of the vaccine are a nasal mist. Our boys should never have a nasal mist vaccine, so it would be best to wait out the first round. I have no idea when the actual shot is supposed to be available.
What is the issue with the nasal mist? Why can't our sons have it? Can they be around others that have had the nasal mist?

Jerry Dallapè said:
Just remember that the early doses of the vaccine are a nasal mist. Our boys should never have a nasal mist vaccine, so it would be best to wait out the first round. I have no idea when the actual shot is supposed to be available.
I believe that the nasal mist is a live virus and the shot is a dead virus. The live virus is not recommended for certain populations. Here's some information from WebMD:

4. Some people should not get LAIV(Live, attenuated influenza vaccine (nasal spray))

LAIV is not licensed for everyone. The following people should get the inactivated vaccine (flu shot) instead:

* Adults 50 years of age and older or children between 6 months and 2 years of age. (Children younger than 6 months should not get either influenza vaccine.)
* Children younger than 5 with asthma or one or more episodes of wheezing within the past year.
* People who have long-term health problems with:
o heart disease
o kidney or liver disease
o lung disease
o metabolic disease, such as diabetes
o asthma
o anemia, and other blood disorders
* Anyone with certain muscle or nerve disorders (such as seizure disorders or cerebral palsy) that can lead to breathing or swallowing problems.
* Anyone with a weakened immune system.
* Children or adolescents on long-term aspirin treatment.
* Pregnant women.

Susan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service