Can anyone tell me if inserting a g-tube due to bloating and/or abdominal distension has been helpful & if so,how can I convince the doctors to consider this option? They continually insist on trying medication(Reglan,Simethicone,etc.) & now are suggesting a j-tube because they say a g-tube would not help.I am very skeptical of their advice,as I've heard from a couple sources that a g-tube with a "mickey " button(?) works very well for gas relief.Not sure why I'm encountering so much resistance from the medical community on this issue,but would love to hear from anyone who has 1st hand knowledge and/or experience with this problem.

Views: 14581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son uses acidophiles, over the counter drug used by travelers in countries where the water is not very good. It has always worked well for him in terms of stomach issues. He is 20 years old.

Ginny

Justin has a g-tube with a mickey button. We use it often to vent his belly and release built up gas pressure. We have to open up his button, attach a syringe and pull the air out. Justin has had a button since he was 7yrs old. Doctors have pressured us to remove his button, but we always say no. Justin has his put in due to feeding issues, and they didnt want to then either.

--Samantha

My son has a Mic-key due to extreme weight loss. Now we are dealing with extreme weight gain, so are holding formula for now. It worked too well!  But, I vent my son's bloated tummy at least twice a day and no longer need simethicone or other anti-gas aides. We do not use a syringe, just attach a clamped  "bolus feeding" tube and open it up. Gas and sometimes a bit of fluid escape. Then we irrigate it and shut it up until next time he feels bloated. We also use the Mic-key for the Miralax he uses daily. We still only need half a dose of Miralax at age 30 because he is "trained" to go at a certain time and even though his elimination muscles are weak he has been in the same pattern since he was about 10. Don't know why they are so resistant to a g-tube--maybe they have a good reason based on things they are not telling you? I would ask. How old is your son?

Ann Avery said:
My son has a Mic-key due to extreme weight loss. Now we are dealing with extreme weight gain, so are holding formula for now. It worked too well!  But, I vent my son's bloated tummy at least twice a day and no longer need simethicone or other anti-gas aides. We do not use a syringe, just attach a clamped  "bolus feeding" tube and open it up. Gas and sometimes a bit of fluid escape. Then we irrigate it and shut it up until next time he feels bloated. We also use the Mic-key for the Miralax he uses daily. We still only need half a dose of Miralax at age 30 because he is "trained" to go at a certain time and even though his elimination muscles are weak he has been in the same pattern since he was about 10. Don't know why they are so resistant to a g-tube--maybe they have a good reason based on things they are not telling you? I would ask. How old is your son?

terry wilcox said:My son is 25.They seem to favor medications at OSU.Not sure why.I was also told that the g with the mickey would probably not help.Not so sure that they know what they're talking about.

Ann Avery said:

Samantha Dearing said:

Justin has a g-tube with a mickey button. We use it often to vent his belly and release built up gas pressure. We have to open up his button, attach a syringe and pull the air out. Justin has had a button since he was 7yrs old. Doctors have pressured us to remove his button, but we always say no. Justin has his put in due to feeding issues, and they didnt want to then either.

How did you convince them to do it & have you had any serious issues with the g-tube? -Terry

--Samantha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service