I've got to give Laurie credit for this, since I saw this in one of her status updates.

Intel is running a contest to give away $50,000 in co-branded advertising to a non-profit. The top 32 vote-getters will compete for the prize. If you have a Facebook account, go to this app http://apps.facebook.com/voteforacause/

You can vote once a day. PPMD is currently #30 and could rise pretty quickly if everyone gets on board and votes. Also, please send the link to all of your Facebook friends and encourage them to vote daily as well. It costs them nothing other than ten seconds of their time.

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, we are in the final four. Just voted again!

Keith Van Houten said:
Did we make the cut to the final 4? I can't get to Facebook from work...
We've got a really good shot at winning this. In the last round, JDRF and MADD dropped out. Those are huge non-profits.

Sending a note to your Facebook friends is effective. I see a lot of people on my wall that are voting with us after I sent the message out. You have to do it as a message, though, not as a status update, to get the most attention. This is a pain to do. The easiest way is to create a list with your friends. But, you can only have 20 friends on a list, so you'll need multiple lists.

Another idea - post a similar note on other forums, like your area's newspapers - could be worth the effort.

If we don't make the next round - and the "Big Cat Rescue" does - I'm gonna cry.
You can also invite people right from the vote for a cause page, I don't know if that is any more effective though. I asked all my friends to vote today to help celebrate my birthday and didn't get much response. I have a couple of non-dmd involved friends and my daughter who vote every day, but that's about it.
If we don't make it and Big Cat Rescue does, I vote we "invite" them to attend some fundraisers and bring their support base, as clearly they have a HUGE following ...... LOL
Now please forgive me for coming up with an idea that I can't follow through on, but I have midsems starting tomorrow and I really need to finish off my study......

Facebook has a few sites based on the 6 degrees of separation - and these all have MILLIONS of members...... the ideals behind these pages is of course that we are all linked to each other and as such, the people that have joined these groups are interested to see if a global change can be effected by relative strangers.

Maybe a message to the creators of these sites, asking them to send a global invite to their members to join the cause may be effective? It could backfire and see millions of people logging on to then go and vote for Autism, Cherubs or (heaven forbid) the Big Cat Rescue, but it could worth a try? Thoughts on that one would be appreciated.......

Susan Rathfelder said:
You can also invite people right from the vote for a cause page, I don't know if that is any more effective though. I asked all my friends to vote today to help celebrate my birthday and didn't get much response. I have a couple of non-dmd involved friends and my daughter who vote every day, but that's about it.
Can you give me an example of one of the sites you're talking about? I'm not familiar with it...
"Six-Degrees" is a Facebook group.

Keith Van Houten said:
Can you give me an example of one of the sites you're talking about? I'm not familiar with it...
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=million&init=quick#/group.php...

this is a link to one of the largest groups on facebook (with 2.4 million members) that is active and has posts going up constantly..... I checked the six-degrees websites, and it seems they have waned in popularity, as some of them are now down to as little as 200,000 members......

I still have reservations about enlisting the support of these groups before we make it to the top 2, as I have an insane fear that some of them would log on to vote for a cause and the go "oooooh Big Cat Rescue - I'll vote for them instead......" which would kind of defeat the purpose....

My first block of exams are over tomorrow night so if we all think it is a good idea to try these groups I will do up a "blurb" and post on Friday night, however this round will have closed by then, so I guess it all comes down to how confident we are that we are going to make it to the top 2?

I have put posts up on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy=show your support (on Facebook)

Jerry Dallapè said:
"Six-Degrees" is a Facebook group.

Keith Van Houten said:
Hmmmm it appears that not even targeting the Parent Project groups on Facebook is working as well as hoped. I managed to get the admin of this group to send out an invitation to all its members to vote in the comp:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=million&init=quick#/group.php...

But a lad here in WA has now launched an attack at Parent Project (see the link above) claiming they are destroying the boys lives with their negative press, which I think may be very counter productive for the Vote for a Cause campaign.

He has a right to an opinion don't get me wrong (and I am not trying to belittle how he feels about the whole situation, as his point of view is most interesting), but his timing could not have been worse....... I know if I did not have a son with DMD and I was visiting the group to find out more before I voted, there would be no way I could conciously give my vote to a charity that does not even have the support of the boys it represents..........
I wouldn't be too worried about it, Julie. The link on the Vote for a Cause goes right to the PPMD webpage, so I don't think anyone will ever see it.

It doesn't look like PPMD is administering that Facebook page, they really ought to get their name and logo off that one, so there's no confusion and the traffic gets driven to the official site. More fans on the right page gives them easier access to Facebook members if something like this contest comes up again.
Pretty cool.
All my family and a huge amount of my friends are voting, I've had a huge response from them. :-) I thought that because we are Australian and that it's advertising in the US that maybe I wouldn't get such a response, but I've been overwhelmed by the support shown. Loads of support coming from my English friends/family and also everyone from Action Duchenne.

We can do this!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service