NOVEMBER 24

(Clinical Nutrition, 2012) Effects of fish oil containing eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on 

dystrophic mdx mice. 

Adriana Fagagnolo Mauricio, Elaine Minatel, Humberto Santo Neto, Maria Julia Marques - Brazil

Abstract 
Background and aims.
 In Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and in the mdx mouse model of DMD, the lack of dystrophin leads to muscle degeneration and inflammation contributes to progression of the disease. In this study, we evaluated the effects of 
commercially available fish oil containing EPA and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) on mdx.

Methods. Mdx mice (14 days old) were treated with fish oil (FDC Vitamins; 0.002 g EPA and 0.001 g DHA) for 16 days by gavage. Control mdx mice received mineral oil (Nujol). Grip strength measurement was used for functional evaluation. The sternomastoid, diaphragm and biceps brachii muscles were removed and processed for histopathology and Western blot analysis.

Results. Fish oil decreased creatine kinase and myonecrosis. In all muscles studied, the  inflammatory area was significantly reduced after treatment (18.0 ± 3.0% inflammatory area in untreated mdx mice vs 4.0 ± 1% in treated mdx mice). Fish oil protected against 
the loss of muscle strength. Fish oil significantly reduced the levels of TNF-α and the levels of 4-HNE-protein adducts (30 to 34% reduction for both) in all muscles studied.

source :http://www.distrofiamuscular.net/news.htm

Views: 597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting. Sam's been taking Barlean's Kid's DHA fish oil.

laurie, what do you think of the results on Sam? Fish oil decreased creatine kinase and myonecrosis. In all muscles studied, the  inflammatory area was significantly reduced after treatment Fish oil protected against the loss of muscle strength

I really can't say. His numbers fluctuate quite a bit anyhow. Not sure if they've affected strength or not. He held steady right up until this year when he's had several fractures. He's 10 now.

sorry to hear that Laurie....hope you guys are handling it as good as you can.

I am not a scientist...just a mom. However, when we got Lucas' diagnoses, my sister-in-law, who is a research biologist that has studied fish oil exclusively for many years had me put Lucas on fish oil. He has been participating in the GSK exon skipping trials with Dr Wong in Cinci. At his last biopsy in Nov.,the doctor who has been doing the biopsy remarked to me that his muscles are in very good condition, not much inflamation, ect. as a boy his age{ 13 in January} with DMD should have. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but this study seems to indicate that. Worth trying anyway!!!

karen, which brand fishoil are you using?

I just use the local drug store brand...I forwarded this article to my sister in law. She's going to read it over. She said it's the online version not a published paper yet?? Guess that means something to scientists. Will let you know what she thinks

amit gupta said:

karen, which brand fishoil are you using?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service