My son is 23 with DMD. We are aggressively stretching wrists and finger joints under the care of our OT, but contractions seem to be winning. The manner in which his hand is positioned while driving his chair has probably aggravated the situation. Has anyone had any experience with dynasplints?

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I work for an insurance company, most of our beneficiaries are medicare age, but many of them are prescribed the dynasplints. We have closely monitored their use over the past 3 years and they can be effective in treatment, it just depends on the contracture. If you don't see results in the first few months you will not see results, no matter what the reps tell you. We have definately found that out. We have seen the best results with new contractures, such as strokes or head injuries, I would think if driving his chair has agrivated the situation it would help, but if he is going to continue to drive the chair a dynasplint is not for long term use, they are only approved for use for about 3-6 mos usually, so that may not be the long term solution. Maybe using it to get out of the current contracture situation and then finding a better splint to use while driving the chair?
Hope this helps a bit
Jennifer,

Thank you for responding and sharing with me your experience. We are in the process of working with different joysticks and wrist supports. The thought is that the dynasplint would be used either at night or while watching TV. Thank you for the advice concerning the effectiveness time range.

~Kippi

Jennifer Shumsky said:
I work for an insurance company, most of our beneficiaries are medicare age, but many of them are prescribed the dynasplints. We have closely monitored their use over the past 3 years and they can be effective in treatment, it just depends on the contracture. If you don't see results in the first few months you will not see results, no matter what the reps tell you. We have definately found that out. We have seen the best results with new contractures, such as strokes or head injuries, I would think if driving his chair has agrivated the situation it would help, but if he is going to continue to drive the chair a dynasplint is not for long term use, they are only approved for use for about 3-6 mos usually, so that may not be the long term solution. Maybe using it to get out of the current contracture situation and then finding a better splint to use while driving the chair?
Hope this helps a bit

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service