For our 6 year old kid, we do stretches.Recently I read that cycling is also a good form of exercise for DMD kids.

I wanted to understand whether daily cycling helps our kid.

Also is there any 'Standard document/PPT' which explains the stretches/exercises etc which should be done for our kids.  

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joshua is 7 and is always on his bike if there isn't snow. His legs don't stiffen and he never complains of it hurting. As for the stretches, there is a site on you tube that has them specifically for Duchenne. It's put on from PPMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ecVd3kNtQ
Thanks very much. I will go through this video.
Does Joshua ride a regular bike or a specialized bike?

Joshua's mom said:
Joshua is 7 and is always on his bike if there isn't snow. His legs don't stiffen and he never complains of it hurting. As for the stretches, there is a site on you tube that has them specifically for Duchenne. It's put on from PPMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ecVd3kNtQ
Joshua rides a regular bike. He just graduated to a bigger bike this past weekend too!
Raktim - it's nice to have a bike with gears. It's easier on the legs. They can be hard to find in smaller sizes. When my older son needed a 20" bike, bikes were gears were all over the place. When my younger son with DMD needed a 20" bike, I couldn't find one anywhere but a bike store, and they were ridiculously expensive. I wound up getting a use one on Ebay.

Not sure what size your son needs - if it's 20", let me know. You can have one or both of these for the cost of the shipping.
I was under the impression that cycling was one of the better exercises for kids with DMD along with swimming. This I think is due to the low impact of cycling whilst still using the muscles. Something along those lines anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service