My son is 13.5 yrs old with DMD. He's had issues with his teeth for many years. The latest issue is a cyst that has formed under his molars...apparently his wisdom teeth are not coming in very well and the prognosis is not good. The oral surgeon's recommendation is to remove all of his wisdom teeth soon.

This procedure will require anesthesia. It's my understanding our boys need special consideration when going under anesthesia. I've read some articles on the subject but they are mostly full of medical jargon and not very helpful.

If anybody out there can recommend information for a lay person I would appreciate it very much.

-David

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi David,

• If you haven't already, we recommend you view the Surgery & Anesthesia page on our site, which you can print and take with you to your son's dentist.
  • You should also view and print the comprehensive list of Safe & Unsafe Anesthetics (PDF) provided by the Malignant Hyperthermia Association of the United States (Approved by Cincinnati Children's Hospital)
  • And here is a bit more information taken from the Duchenne Care Considerations document, which is more technical, but you still may find helpful:
    "The exclusive use of a total intravenous anaesthetic technique is strongly recommended owing to the risk of malignant hyperthermia-like reactions and rhabdomyolysis with exposure to inhalational anaesthetic agents, such as halothane and isoflurane. Depolarising muscle relaxants, such as suxamethonium chloride, are absolutely contraindicated owing to the risk of fatal reactions."

I hope this helps!

Yes, that is very helpful, thank you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service