Hi guys,

My son has been on streroid for 1 yr now. he also get constipated often and also complain about tummy ache. He is 6 yr.

Is this side effect of steroid? any suggestions pleease?

thanks,

Amrit

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tummy aches definitely occur with constipation, but they can also occur due to irritation from the steroid. Get him checked out no matter what because a tummy ache can be serious for our boys.

Chronic constipation is a typical issue from what I've read from other parents. My son has it a lot. We have him seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year, more if his constipation is bad. He takes one cap full of Miralax daily (he's 44 pounds/approx 20 kg). During an acute episode, he gets an x-ray called a KUB (no idea what it stands for). If pretty compacted, then we'll do a couple of things:

1. if upper tract compacted, then one cap full of Miralax every hour until his stools very very runny (usually 4-6 doses).
2. if lower or middle tract, then same Miralax dosing above, but add 1 or 2 enemas depending on how severe.

Once we do this clean out, then we'll get another x-ray to be sure the clean out worked or if we should do another round of this.

ALWAYS check with doctor, as our experience and dosing is specific to our son.

Good luck!
we also have constipation issues. Actually it is how we found out Wyatt had DMD. We use miralax also. Now just as needed but we were doing a 1/2 capful everyday. He was less than 30 pounds then. When I can get him to take prune juice that also seems to help. IT is a more natural remedy. He has been on steroids now for 2 months. I have not seen a change in bowel movements though.
KUB stands for Kidney/Ureter/Bladder, my son has had several of them for kidney stones. It is basically the abdominal area.
My son complains often of belly aches. Mentioned a few times to Docs..they don't seem to worried. Should I take him to Gast yearly to get checked out? Thanks. Sometimes I believe its consipation and others not so sure it is.

Liisa Underwood said:
Tummy aches definitely occur with constipation, but they can also occur due to irritation from the steroid. Get him checked out no matter what because a tummy ache can be serious for our boys.

Chronic constipation is a typical issue from what I've read from other parents. My son has it a lot. We have him seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year, more if his constipation is bad. He takes one cap full of Miralax daily (he's 44 pounds/approx 20 kg). During an acute episode, he gets an x-ray called a KUB (no idea what it stands for). If pretty compacted, then we'll do a couple of things:

1. if upper tract compacted, then one cap full of Miralax every hour until his stools very very runny (usually 4-6 doses).
2. if lower or middle tract, then same Miralax dosing above, but add 1 or 2 enemas depending on how severe.

Once we do this clean out, then we'll get another x-ray to be sure the clean out worked or if we should do another round of this.

ALWAYS check with doctor, as our experience and dosing is specific to our son.

Good luck!
In my non-medical opinion, insist on the KUB from primary care. Sometimes it takes a while to get into a pediatric gast., and yes...get in with a pediatric gast as soon as possible - don't wait on the KUB before scheduling. I believe the recommendations are at least 1 time a year. With the steroid, I think 2 times a year is important.

Liisa
My son just saw Dr. Wong for the 1st time, and even though he's never complained of being uncomfortable she diagnosed him w/constipation via her questions to him. She confirmed it w/x-ray and recommended miralax. She said it is a symptom of the DMD, not that it is steroid related. We haven't tried the miralax yet-- how does it taste?
It's tasteless. We mix it in with Sam's milk. So long as I mix it well, he doesn't know it's in there.

Laurie

Regina said:
My son just saw Dr. Wong for the 1st time, and even though he's never complained of being uncomfortable she diagnosed him w/constipation via her questions to him. She confirmed it w/x-ray and recommended miralax. She said it is a symptom of the DMD, not that it is steroid related. We haven't tried the miralax yet-- how does it taste?
We have mixed it in yogurt but it makes it too watery. We've used apple juice at half concentration. Water works well for him too. As long as you mix it a minute or until the water is clear, Connor doesn't notice. I call it his special sugar to make his belly feel good.

BTW, his brother who does not have DMD was jealous of the special sugar. We were able to talk our way out of that thankfully ;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service