Has anyone had problems with severe bloating?My son is 25 & has Duchenne.For the past 2 years he has had major problems with bloating.We have tried nearly every kind of anti-gas medication out there without any kind of significant relief.He takes Miralax,Reglan,& Famotadine on a regular basis to keep his bowels regular.The problem is not stool retention,as he has several soft stools each day.The problem is that he begins to fill up with gas virtually right after he's had a bowel movement.His abdomen becomes extremely distended, which in turn puts pressure on his diaphragm.This is not only extremely uncomfortable,but also causes him to feel short of breath.When we roll him up onto his side,he is usually able to release gas rectally,but that usually doesn't last very long before he begins to bloat again.It has also been problematic when sitting in his wheelchair.He can't tolerate sitting up for long periods of time due to the distension from the gas buildup.He is also on the ventilator & oxygen 24/7 which is probably a contributing factor,but he had this problem prior to going on the vent.If anyone has dealt with this particular problem or has any suggestions,we would appreciate hearing from you.This bloating problem has become the central focus for us right now,as it is robbing our son of being able to function outside of his bedroom for any significant time.He says that if he didn't have to deal with the gas,he could handle the other limitations of his disease.Please respond!

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a miserable problem! Does he have allergies that causes food to not digest well in his stomach? Milk or gluten? Does he drink carbonated beverages? Simethicone doesn't help? You need to see a GI doc with this problem in mind. My son(29) has bloating, but it can be relieved by venting his gastrostomy tube--which I do at least twice a day. Instant relief. Can they "burp" with a trach? For our older dmd guys, gut motility is a problem. I don't know about trachs and vents--what does the pulmonologist say about extra air intake? And please help me with why he needs oxygen with the vent? Could that introduce extra air into his system? I hope others write about what works for them, as sharing solutions may help any/all of us.
There are other posts on this site about bloating and stomach ache and probiotics seem to be a popular answer for stomach issues.

Ann Avery said:
This is a miserable problem! Does he have allergies that causes food to not digest well in his stomach? Milk or gluten? Does he drink carbonated beverages? Simethicone doesn't help? You need to see a GI doc with this problem in mind. My son(29) has bloating, but it can be relieved by venting his gastrostomy tube--which I do at least twice a day. Instant relief. Can they "burp" with a trach? For our older dmd guys, gut motility is a problem. I don't know about trachs and vents--what does the pulmonologist say about extra air intake? And please help me with why he needs oxygen with the vent? Could that introduce extra air into his system? I hope others write about what works for them, as sharing solutions may help any/all of us.
The type or quantity of food he consumes seems to have no bearing on how much he bloats.He can still belch & pass gas.The problem is,it doesn't matter how much of either he does,he still bloats back up in a very short period of time. No allergies,no carbonation,simethicone doesn't help. He takes gas relief tablets several times a day with little or no effect.The trache gives him no problems with swallowing or belching.He has to have oxygen with the vent or his blood-oxygen saturation stats drop rather quickly.I would like to know more about the g-tube & the benefits your son derives from it as opposed to any adverse effects he gets from it.Everytime I mention g-tube at the clinic,they shy away from the subject & want to try some other medication or diet changes.Meanwhile,the frustration levels continue to build!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service