Should I buy my son a backpack on wheels. I have been told backpacks are heavy for kindergarten. It is already hard enough to get around.

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son starts 4th grade next year and he has used a backpack on wheels for 80% of his school years. The only time he carried one was part of 2nd grade and part of 3rd grade. It was his choice to carry one on his back...he wanted to because all of his friends had that type. I did convince him to go back to on wheels and he is fine with it. Every day I would point out all of the wheels backpacks and he finally didn't care anymore.

I would recommend you use as much as you can. Some days they do carry home heavy items or projects, binders etc.
My grandson started kindergarten with a non-wheeled backpack. It was OK until he had to get it over his winter clothes. He just couldn't do it efficiently and timely. He got a wheeled backpack and is just fine with it. He does have to watch out for other kids sometimes (ever been to an airport with lots of wheeled bags). He will wear his light "on the back one" in the summer for various activities but it is is the wheeled one for school. I am surprised at how much stuff a kindergartner and a just promoted from first grade boy has to bring home and take to school.
Yes, get one on wheels. You might need to get special permission for him to bring it in the classroom because sometimes they do not fit in the locker. We used one for years. Erin, I forgot where you are staying. We are arriving at the Hyatt on Monday the 6th and leaving on Friday the 10th.
Erin,
Both of my guys use the rolling backpacks. Make sure you get a good one. We first got ones from Wal-Mart. They fell apart in a few months. We now have ones from Lands End. Very durable. Plus they have great customer service. We had a problem with Jake's after he'd used it for several months and they replaced it no problem.

The last two years their school has allowed the rolling backpacks. I just got the supply list for this year and it states they're not allowed. We'll definitely be getting Sam's use of one added to his IEP. Jake would rather carry one on his back now, so it shouldn't be an issue with him.
Debbie we will be arriving Tuesday evening and will be staying with Leslie Guzman for 2 nights and 1 night at the Great Wolf Lodge. We would love to get together with you and Ben while we are there. We also leave on the 10th. My cell phone # is 832-724-1458

Debbie Dupree said:
Yes, get one on wheels. You might need to get special permission for him to bring it in the classroom because sometimes they do not fit in the locker. We used one for years. Erin, I forgot where you are staying. We are arriving at the Hyatt on Monday the 6th and leaving on Friday the 10th.
Thanks for the info. My next step is to email the asst. principal before I spend the money ordering from Lands End. I know that he will complain about it being too heavy. Last year I picked him up from preschool at 1 and by this time he was so tired he could not carry it. I also hope he will not trip pulling a back pack on wheels but I this is the only option.
My son used both. The key is to use it for his folder and lunch. Any text books should be left at school and request a second set for at home. This will make the backback lighter and easier to handle on the bus.

Best wishes,
Karen (Erik 17)
I bought our son a rolling bookbag to use last year and he insisted he use his old carry on his back type. My husband thinks it's because he wanted to 'fit in'. He used it the entire year. I had an extra set of his Social Studies, LA, and Religion textbooks at our house so he didn't have to bring textbooks home with him. Most of the time he only had his folder, assignment pad, and a notebook or two in his bookbag ( 2nd grade).
Our son attends a private school so another option my husband and I talked about which the teacher was in agreement with was she or we would carry his bookbag to his classroon and we could carry it from the classroom to the car at the end of the day if he was too tired or if it was too heavy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service