Wyatt's physical therapist and I have been working on finding someone around us to do aquatic therapy. His PT has ordered a book, that she hopes will help, but thinks there is only one page on therapy for children with DMD. Can anyone give me a list of activities they do in the pool with their kids. We weren't sure if there were some exercises that we should/shouldn't include in our sessions. I figured who better to ask. A little background on Wyatt. He is 2 1/2 years old, and walks well. He is starting swimming lessons in June. Thanks in advance.

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son had pool therapy when he was younger. She would have him walk laps around the pool, some light swimming, some breathing exercises, 'dive' for rings, she would also stretch him. The pool was at a local Childrens Orthopedic Clinic and was not very deep. The water was kept at about 90 to 92 degrees. There was one boy with DMD older than my son who was no longer walking and he could walk some in the pool. She would play volleyball and basket ball in the pool with them too. My son was older when he had pool therapy, I think he started at age 10 and stopped when he was 13. The PT who did the therapy was really good at making sure they didn't overdo but still had fun.
Hi Jessica, I haved attached a document that Nicholas' thrapist wrote on therapeutic applications of play in the pool. She does aquatic therapy every session with Nicholas . I hope this helps. I am sure she would not mind of Wyatt's therapist contacted her. Nicholas has a blast working with her. I know she works on his breathing under water. Uses light weights in the water.
Hope this helps.
Attachments:
Thank you so much. I will get it to Wyatt's PT asap so we can start this summer at our community pool.

See you soon.

Erin said:
Hi Jessica, I haved attached a document that Nicholas' thrapist wrote on therapeutic applications of play in the pool. She does aquatic therapy every session with Nicholas . I hope this helps. I am sure she would not mind of Wyatt's therapist contacted her. Nicholas has a blast working with her. I know she works on his breathing under water. Uses light weights in the water.
Hope this helps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service