Anyone know of a program to assist with AFO purchases?

Thanks to our awful new insurance plan, our out-of-pocket expense for Max's "night boots" will be $2100. If I had known it was going to go up so darn much, I would have asked Dr. Wong about other less-expensive brands. Sigh. Any ideas would be much appreciated! (We live in Texas.)

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That seems crazy expensive.  We have the kind that Cincinnati recommends, but purchase them locally.  They were about $1300.  Ours are DAFO Softy 3.5.  Maybe you have a different kind?

Try this one: http://noboundariesff.org/

We are in the same boat with Jack's night splints, but we are applying for grants with local Colorado foundations.  Good Luck!

Contact your local Shrinners, most of us in nor-cal go there and we take the RX from our neurologist, they copy the Cascade or Hanger version. Best part is they will be no charge. Hanger billed my insurances $3500.00.

We also use what Dr. Wong recommends (don't have the name in front of me), but DAFO sounds right. The problem is our insurance and our lovely $7500 deductible. (We recently opened our own business, and believe it or not, that was the lowest price coverage we could get with Max's diagnosis). I was also an idiot to order something without knowing our cost. I naively assumed that they couldn't be much more than $500 (our deductible with different insurance last year), so I went ahead and ordered them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Max better wear these things!!!! ;)

Can you use hand me downs if they are checked out locally?  I know we have a pair sitting in our closet that will never be used again if they can't.  Kyle used them only his first year (age 5 - 6) - he outgrew them.  And yes, we were suprised at the time as well that we had to dish out the $2,000 for a new pair.  If you are interested, I will send them to you and you can have them checked out to see if they would work.  Donna

Thanks, Donna, but I think they have to be custom-made?  Regardless, it's too late since his AFOS have already been ordered and produced.  :( You live, you learn. :)

Donna said:

Can you use hand me downs if they are checked out locally?  I know we have a pair sitting in our closet that will never be used again if they can't.  Kyle used them only his first year (age 5 - 6) - he outgrew them.  And yes, we were suprised at the time as well that we had to dish out the $2,000 for a new pair.  If you are interested, I will send them to you and you can have them checked out to see if they would work.  Donna

Try your local Elks Club

Hi,We requested  new night splints few months ago,through school therapist,did made them but wasn't right.it been over three months since we been waiting for the right one,his old one's are no longer stronge to hold the 90 degrees.

Any suggestion in whom should we contact to get  new one's  faster.We live in S.Jersey.

Thank you,

Shrinners Hospital is free

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service