My three tear old son Ryan has been having some serious issues with sleeping (both falling asleep and staying asleep). There has been a few days where he woke up at 1 or 2 am, and didn't go back to sleep until 9pm the next night. I have spoken to his pediatrician about the issues and he prescribed Clonodine (1/2 to 1 mg one hour before bedtime). The Clonodine works to get him to sleep, but it only lasts for about 4-5 hours and then he cannot go back to sleep. The pediatrician then recommended giving him 1/2 the adult dose of Melatonin before bed. We are up to 3mg of melatonin, and still he doesn't sleep. I decided to call his MDA neurologist and spoke with his nurse. She was utterly useless. She asked if I had tried upping the dose of either medication. I said no because I am not a doctor and didn't feel comfortable with it. She then told me to establish a "bedtime routine" with a bath, a book, and bed. DUH!!! I guess she thought I was an idiot, but we have also tried that. We cannot seem to find a solution to the issue. The nurse told me that maybe he didn't require any more sleep than he was getting. I'm sorry, but a three year old needs more sleep than 5-6 hours a night!! Especially a boy with DMD who tires very easily. Now I don't know what to do. In an attempt to let my five year old daughter and my husband get some sleep, I am up at least 3 to 4 times a night trying to rock him to sleep. When I return to my bed, I hear him playing in the dark in his room. I am so tired!!! I teach 8th grade by day, and need to get some sleep! Does anyone have any other ideas? Or similar issues? I would be nice to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks so much!
Jen Collier a.k.a. "Sleepless in St. Augustine"

Views: 1733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jennifer,

I re-read the discussion and you had said the doctor doesn't want to start him on steroids until he is 5.  Is there a reason for the age?  Joshua started Deflazacort when he turned 3.  He is now 8.

Naomi

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service