There is a new trial set to begin in Ontario to study the potential benefits of far infrared radiation in Muscular Dystrophies (including DMD). Study is being conducted by Dr. Sam Francis. (Incidentally, Dr. Francis started a study in February for infrared radiation in the treatment of Alzheimer's)

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00674843?cond=Duchenne+Muscul...

Any thoughts on this? Is Dr. Francis legit? The study even dares to use the four-letter "c" word.

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you actually read what they are currently recruiting for trials these people are covering every disease that has a major impact on society.

The description of the trial is sketchy at best, with nothing substantiating the methodology - how does the radiation regenerate muscle fibres, and how often would the treatment be required if it were successful (and that is a BIG if). how do they plan to cure DMD?

The fact that this treatment does nothing to restore dystrophin production, or facilitate the production of utrophin in lieu, will never make it a cure - it will only ever be a treatment. Our boys already regenerate muscle fibres, but the lack of dystrophin results in these newly generated muscle fibres breaking down. This will not be any different utilising infrared radiation.

I would be really cautious, but thats just me. I am a firm believer if it seems to good to be true it usually is, and this one has a certain "snake oil" feel about it.

If you are considering the trial, I would not commit until I had lenghty discussions with my neurosurgeon and paediatrition, as this treatment could have side effects that have not been disclosed.
I would have to add my caution to that of Julie. I can see no physiological reason that using radiation that kill other cells would do anything but add to the progression of muscle breakdown. As this treatment offers no way to change the genetic makeup of the cells there cannot be any "cure" for DMD. The only thing I can see that it may do is change the way the tissue that is created from the breakdown of the muscle forms. This may lead to less contraction of the muscle as time goes on, but would require constant ongoing treatment to achieve this.
I also have read of many other trial's and claims of possible treatments over the years, and anything you try needs to be researched thoroughly and discussed with a medical person you trust!
I too want to think this seems too good to be true, but since it is listed under clinical trials .gov, is in't there some legit...Also there are many theraputic products out there that seem to be based on far infrared.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the trial is not legit, what I am saying is that their claims are unfounded.

There are a lot of excellent therapeutic treatments out there that improve the quality of life of boys with Duchenne, however they are not cures, and that is my main problem with the wording of this trial proposal.

If families enter into a treatment trial or a therapy trial they should do it with full disclosure - this includes what the expected outcomes will be.

So yes, it could be a fantastic therapeutic treatment - I just hate the idea that a family desperate to find a cure to save their son may read that proposal and pin all their hopes and dreams on it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service