Is anyone having any problems getting their child to school and then the child not wanting to stay in their classroom due to noise level? My son is almost 12. Most days it is difficult to even get him to go to school (he gets teary eyed) but when he is there, he would rather go to a room that is quieter to get his assignments done then be in class. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son is a bit younger but he is extremely sensitive to noise levels. He has some sensory issues and noise and clothing seem to be the big ones. He can't stand anything too loud. Too much noise or kids in a classroom can put him right over the edge. The teachers usually can't get him to go into any school assemblies - he'll run and hide under something. He doesn't care much for school as well but it's gotten better this year.
Is your son taking any steriods? When he doesn't want to go to school, how do your get him to go?
Karen Barnett said:
My son is a bit younger but he is extremely sensitive to noise levels. He has some sensory issues and noise and clothing seem to be the big ones. He can't stand anything too loud. Too much noise or kids in a classroom can put him right over the edge. The teachers usually can't get him to go into any school assemblies - he'll run and hide under something. He doesn't care much for school as well but it's gotten better this year.
Yes, my son has been on steroids since he was 5 yrs old. They definately heightened these underlying issues that he already had. In my son's case the issues started in kindergarten as soon as he started school. He started off in general ed. but his frustrations and the problems quickly mounted and it was clear it was too much for him to be in a large classroom in the general ed setting. We ended up taking my son out of general ed and putting him in the smaller resource room 1/2 way through his kindergarten school year. It was a tough decision to make but one I don't regret for a minute. It is only about 5 students and he gets a lot of one on one instruction. He is in 2nd grade now and is still in the resource room. He is much happier with this and it is not so overwhelming for him. Since these changes he has stopped fighting me on going to school. When he did fight me on going to school, back when it was over his head, as hard as it was, I never gave in and always made him go. So in our case the school was sensitive to his sensory issues and my son's learning disabilities and changed things (resource room) to make it easier and much less frustrating for him.

Did your son just start on steroids or has he been on them for a while? Did the problem just suddenly start with him not wanting to go to school?
My son is in Kindergarten and is having noise problems! I had to write the sensory issues into his IEP as a part of DMD to keep him from getting bad conduct marks! I told them that time out for inappropriate behavior is fine, but that he should not get bad grades for something he can't help. Since then, his conduct is better. He had no problems with Pre-K, but he had a teacher with great control. This year, their is chaos around at all times and he is not doing as well!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service