Years ago, my aunt gave me several hand-me-down books, among them a beautifully written and illustrated book called The Crippled Lamb (not crazy about that word, so I just subbed it out with "special" when I read it to my daughter) by Max Lucado. I cried as I read it to my daughter tonight (It was the first time I read it to Holly, and the first time I saw it since Max's diagnosis.) It's the story of a little lamb whose leg doesn't work well so he can't keep up with the other lambs. His friend Abigail the Cow always tells him, "Don't be sad, little Joshua. God has a special place for those who feel left out." When all of the other lambs travel to another pasture, Joshua is made to stay behind and go to a stable since he can't keep up. In the middle of the night, he is awakened by the cries of a little baby. The baby is cold and his parents have no blankets, so Joshua lays next to the baby to keep him warm. The baby, we find out, is Baby Jesus. Here's a passage: "Joshua looked down at the baby. Somehow he knew this was a special child, and this was a special moment. He also understood why he was born with a crippled leg. Had he been like the other sheep, he would have been in the valley. But since he was different, he was in the stable, among the first to welcome Jesus into the world."

I think it's a wonderful book for our boys and their brothers and sisters!

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

Seems like a great book. I hope I can find somewhere that still sells it.

Jessica
You can get this on amazon, and it really is an amazing book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0849910056/bookstorenow57-20
Veronica: Thank you. That is a book that I need to get for our grandson Grayson who has DMD. He had a baby brother this past year. Grayson lives vicarously through his little brother Holden. I think this is something he can relate to. We are very involved grandparents and I care for Grayson often, so I am always looking for something that helps. Thank you for sharing this.
Oh wow...that gave me goosebumps...I'm so going to run out and get it!

wow, sounds like an amazing book.  i'm going to get it for sure....i hope i can get through reading it to my children..i cried just reading what you typed here!!  lol

thanks again!  

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service