Has anyone had an issue with climbing the school bus stairs? If you did, what was done about it?

Views: 885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had Joshua's geneticist write a letter and our areas Children's Special Services called them. The local SMD organization has a letter ready as well as the MD society and our physiotherapist. I e-mailed the person in charge of all the school bus transportation in our province though at around 10:30 Monday night. The next morning I recieved an e-mail from him around 7:30 finally explaining that our situation is still being looked at and the lift from the city bus which I sent to them won't work. At around 9:30 that morning I got a call from the school division telling me there is a bus on order to accomodate Joshua. This is a regular school bus that has a lift in the center of it for him to stand on and later be able to lift a wheel chair as well. We won't get it until after Christmas or even next year, but there will be someone to lift him off and on the bus at the school. I'll be patient, but I told them I want updates from them or I will be calling to get them.

Naomi
Bumping an older post. We're going through this issue right now, we're meeting with the school this week. Has anyone had any options other than a wheelchair lift or a person physically helping? Something like a modification to add an extra step or adding more handles? The first step is the real issue, it's the biggest one.
Within 2 weeks we had new handles put in so Joshua can hold onto both sides and climb up. They are angled down the stairs on each side instead of only one side. We were also given a belt that has handles on it that he wears so we can help him up the stairs so much easier. By Christmas though, his new bus will arrive and it has a lift in the center with handles that he can hang on to and when he goes into a wheelchair he will be able to roll onto it and can be lifted onto the bus. Everything will be ready for him before he is in dire need of it and will become an everyday habit so when he really needs it, it's there. It only took 3 months to get it when it usually takes 1-2 years. It's nice when you know the people personally who are in charge of it all. :)

Naomi
AMAZING!!!! Can we all move to your school district?

Joshua's mom said:
Within 2 weeks we had new handles put in so Joshua can hold onto both sides and climb up. They are angled down the stairs on each side instead of only one side. We were also given a belt that has handles on it that he wears so we can help him up the stairs so much easier. By Christmas though, his new bus will arrive and it has a lift in the center with handles that he can hang on to and when he goes into a wheelchair he will be able to roll onto it and can be lifted onto the bus. Everything will be ready for him before he is in dire need of it and will become an everyday habit so when he really needs it, it's there. It only took 3 months to get it when it usually takes 1-2 years. It's nice when you know the people personally who are in charge of it all. :)

Naomi
Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the extra handles that were added to the bus?
My son Sam is also in Kindergarten and I lift him to the top of the steps. It's not the best solution but it works if you are physically able to lift you son. I am going to request a bus with an extra step if one is available. I have been on tour busses and they actually lower almost to the ground for passengers to get on/off. School buses should be like this also.
Keith,
I don't know if this is an option you want to consider yet but I had Daniel changed to the handicap bus (LESA). It has hand rails on both sides of the steps. The steps are still really high but at least he has the hand rails to grab onto to help him up. There is no way I could lift him. We'll have to look into having a wheechair being kept on the bus for him so he can use the lift when it gets to the point he can't climb them anymore. I'm assuming this is the only way he would be able to use the lift.
Karen
Like you , Karen, the only option we have is the regular bus steps or a special ed bus provided by the intermediate school district. Within the last 8 weeks Kevin has gotten much weaker, we have to carry Kevin up and down our steps at home and these bus steps are a big concern for me. My husband picks him up and puts him on in the morning but I know thats not happening at school. School says "take the spcial ed bus or drive him yourself"
Karen - We went up to the school and looked at the rest of the buses. Most of them have the handrails on both sides, except for the one we're on. We met with the principal, and she talked with the transportation director. We're meeting with them right after school starts back up. They can either switch his bus or install some more handles. We think this will be at least a temporary solution.

DeAnne - we do the same thing in the morning. Somehow he manages in the afternoon. He says it's easier for him in the PM. I'm not sure why.
Keith,
If they have them on the rest of the buses it sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal to get them put on your son's bus or at least switch him to one that has them. Good luck to you in this and I hope your son's school is accomadating and sensitive to his needs.
Karen
Hi Keith, I don't have a picture of our bus, but I found one on the net. The handles are angled down the steps just like stairs in the house, and there is a handle on each side. It also much easier if there are four steps to climb rather than three because they are not so far apart that way and they are easier to get to the first step even.
http://hughsung.com/blog/media/1/20060908-tn_DSC01593.JPG

This is the lifting belt we got from the rehab centre to help Joshua onto the bus and up the stairs. I would lift him enough that he could still walk up the stairs on his own rather than carrying him. It was so much easier! The average house stair at home is 7" and the average school bus stair is 8 1/2". It's a big difference for short legs.
https://www.svncanada.com/cart_product.php?id=926&type=1

When he gets on the bus at school to come home, the principal helps him up onto the bus. He lifts him off the bus when he gets to school as well.

I hope this helps someone!
Happy Holidays,

Naomi
Thanks, Naomi. The railings in your picture is similar to what some of the district's buses have - but not ours. I think those will be helpful.

Is the lifting belt something your son wears all the time? Or, do you put it on him right before the bus?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service