Santhera announced the approval of CATENA in CANADA for friedreich's Ataxia. It is available now in CANADA with prescription. I contacted them today and they indicated that we would need a prescription from Canadian doctor to purchase the drug. After some research, I concluded that this is the same SNT_MC17/Idebenone that they conducted trials for DMD in US. I know that there was an earlier discussion about purchasing Idebenone from a website, am not sure if this is same as CATENA...I beleive I read somewhere that CATENA is an improved version of idebenone that seem to provide better results. Any comments? Any one know how to order from Canada? Thanks. Ms. Bain

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Santhera responsded confirming that this is the same drug being tested for DMD in a trial. They are planning Phase III trails in DMD. They have not provided any details as to when they may conduct the Phase III trials.
I have read about SNT_MC17/Idebenone, just not sure what this drug will do for the boys. Is it to protect their heart?? Does it protect their other muscles by helping them stay strong as well??
The hope is Idebenone will also help slow down the progression of dmd...how much is not known. Originally (they presented 6 years or so ago at a PPMD conference) when Santhera was discussing dmd the thought, the hope was for it to also help slow down dmd.
Is the one Patty posted Santhera's brand? What is the website for Santhera's brand?

Patty you say you have seen no adverse side affects, have you seen any improvements?

Thanks, Julie
I wan in Cincinnati last week and asked Dr.Wong regarding Idebenone. She was not against us starting but thought it was same as COQ10. Also she indicated that the dosage from the last dmd trial was 450mg per day. Idebenone is supposed to help heart and probably overall dmd progression.
Santhera is marketing under CATENA brand and is only available in CANADA with prescription.
What if a Dr. in U.S.wrote the prescription? Dr. Wong felt coq10 was easier to measure the levels and track if I understood her correctly when I saw her in August.
Yes, she also mentioned that it is not clear as to measuring idobenenone unlike q10. I called the CATENA marketing info and they said it has to be prescribed by Canadian doctor. That number is 866 270 1733.
Here is the response from Santhera re. DMD clinical trials.

"A Phase III clinical development program for DMD is in preparation, and we hope to be able to start the corresponding clinical trial with high-dose idebenone (Catena) in the middle of next year. Unfortunately, it is not yet possible for us to provide timelines or details on the study protocol, as this is still under discussion with clinical experts from the US and Europe. Details of participating clinical centers will be disclosed at the earliest possible date."
It is not the same as CoQ10.

Idebenone is an organic compound of the quinone family and promoted commercially as a synthetic analog of Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Idebenone is claimed to have properties similar to CoQ10 in its antioxidant properties.

Idebenone is different from Coenzyme Q10 in one very important way. During a hypoxic (low oxygen) condition, CoQ10 can switch function from an anti-oxidizing to an auto-oxidizing process. This auto-oxidation rapidly produces free radicals which damage the tissues of the body.

Idebenone is said to perform the same functions as CoQ10 without the risk of an auto-oxidation reaction.

Also, CATENA it is quite a lot more potent than CoQ10. The dose used in the clinical trials is 450mg/day, I do not recall the weight for this dose.

Godbless said:
I wan in Cincinnati last week and asked Dr.Wong regarding Idebenone. She was not against us starting but thought it was same as COQ10. Also she indicated that the dosage from the last dmd trial was 450mg per day. Idebenone is supposed to help heart and probably overall dmd progression.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service