Wyatt will be getting his night splints next week. Any suggestions on what socks to use? I heard that their feet get really hot; Wyatt already hates having blankets on him while he sleeps, so this should be fun. The man who is making the splints said any socks are fine, but I just wanted to see if any one had special socks that worked better.
Thanks
Jessica

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Make sure you report this to Dr. Wong and to the physiotherapist. Obviously your doctor has no idea regarding the disease. Get a new one and fast. You can ask Dr. Wong to recommend one who may either know about Duchenne or admit they know nothing like our doctor did. He blatantly told us 'I have no experience with this disease so I can't help you'. He did send us to a doctor who could though. I have more respect for him now than I did before because of it. I think everyone who reads your post has their mouths wide open by the time their done. Good luck!

Naomi
I also wonder if he misunderstood the reason you were asking for the braces. I know its been recommended to us to not wear braces during the DAY... but the braces at night aren't for support, they are for maintaining a nuetral position and providing a passive stretch. So I would make sure that your Dr. understands that you are requesting braces for the nighttime. And no stretching? Seems like he's in the dark a bit there... I think you can point him to all the supporting literature from PPMD, MDA etc.. that show that stretching is vital.
If he still is saying, "No that's not right", it may be time as someone suggested, to consider looking elsewhere... Is this your son's pediatrician (in which case I can understand some ignorance to DMD, and they just may need supporting evidence\education each time you ask for something) or is this your local MDA clinic Dr- who I would epexct to know better?

djamel fathi said:
Hi everybody,few days ago I talked with a shcool PT about night splints wich she agree and gave me a note to my son'sDr with a prescreption to get signed by him and will get back to PT to order .Yesterday with the Dr he schoked me with his answers that boys with DMD are not supose to wear
ANY KIND OF SUPPORT[splints,bracelet...]he said that they have to be on their own till they start to walk on their toes then they'll curve the spine in order to find a position that allowed them to walk longer, I said but most of boys with DMD wear splints and I'm sure it wasn't the parents idea but it was in 100% from the boys Drs.In the end I didn't want to argue with him too much I said you're the pro I'm not but I'm going to see Dr WONG in the end of march and WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE EXACT ANSWERS.
One more thing even stretching isn't necessary on his point of view !!!!!!??????????
Was I at the Dr or at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????.
This is the second Dr,the first one knew my son since he was born in 2001 she never ever suspected that something wrong with him we change a Dr wich is the one who is against night/day splints and even stretching isn't gonna do good.He's our Dr since 12/08.and it seems that he works at rehab and chophiladelphia.
We don't have good luck with Drs down here!
This is why my son was diagnosed at 7 yrs old now he is 7.6 yrs old.
I've tried numerous type of socks and nylons to wear with my night braces.
I personally don't like them, so I wear my braces without any socks on.
I find it more comfortable that way.
I also had the brace people make holes in my braces, so I don't get toohot!
Brandon wears stockinets (socks with the toes out) and/or diabetic socks. We also had our orthotist drill air holes. It has helped him somewhat. Good luck!
hi jessica,
mabey you already found a solution about the socks my son is 22 with dmd and he still wears afo braces we have use the stockenett the stuff dr use under cast its very breathable materal and as your so0n get older as my son has his calves are very large and this stockenettis strechy and it works great we bouht ours through our orthopedic dr.

Diane
Hi,yesterday We went to see the Dr again just routine check up I did ask him again for night splints,this time I gave him the document saying that he my son need to be wearing them...GUESS WHAT he still don't want to sign the prescreption from school PT that she need to order the splints,the Dr was insisting beeing against ,then he said I'll check with my group!,and he said that in a month We'll see Dr WONG may be she'll prescribe them?
I explain that all the parent from all over the country who goes to many different Dr agree 100% with,you're the only one who don't then give me a documentation that shows what you saying,he said ok,but he keep saying you're going to see Dr WONG very soon!!!!.
djamel fathi said:
This is the second Dr,the first one knew my son since he was born in 2001 she never ever suspected that something wrong with him we change a Dr wich is the one who is against night/day splints and even stretching isn't gonna do good.He's our Dr since 12/08.and it seems that he works at rehab and chophiladelphia.
We don't have good luck with Drs down here!
This is why my son was diagnosed at 7 yrs old now he is 7.6 yrs old.
Lukey has been wearing the cotton sleeves for under a cast but his "socks" would often be wet in the morning. We are now using Wick dry Liners that EMS sells to wear under hiking socks. They are unisex and one size fits all. Lukey is only 7 but they fit him well--they are comfy and they are dry in the morning. They are $5 a pair at EMS. Joanne
We take regular tube socks & cut the toes off of them.
When Jon was younger I lined his night splints with flannel. That way his legs didn't get all sweaty from wearing socks and it was more comfortable than his legs touching the plastic. I just used good old duct tape to hold the flannel in place.
I buy girls knee high socks,they are thin and go up to the knee. Got mine at Target.
The long baseball sock wore under the braces do real good too. They even leave extra sock at the top of the AFO's so that you can fold them down over the straps just incase the straps are rough. You can sprinkle corn starch or power on the outside of the sock, that helps with the sweat issue. This is what worked for me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service