Wyatt will be getting his night splints next week. Any suggestions on what socks to use? I heard that their feet get really hot; Wyatt already hates having blankets on him while he sleeps, so this should be fun. The man who is making the splints said any socks are fine, but I just wanted to see if any one had special socks that worked better.
Thanks
Jessica

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am no help! Seph will wear anything from nothing to soccer socks. He does sweat when he wears nothing! Make sure they drill air holes in the boots!!
Lori
I'm probably not much help either. Sam wears big long athletic socks. They're kinda thick. His feet sweat, but he doesn't complain. I think I've heard of people cutting the toes out to help.
SmartKnit AFO Socks are good. What really worked for us is, I take regular long socks and I cut out the edge near toes. This is really working. It gets very hot and this cut out helps that. He is wearing them ever since I am doing this. Also I gradually increased the duartion. I started my son 30minutes a day and evetually now he can tolerate them up to 6 hrs. Hope this helps. - bain
I don't wear any...i think thats the best way to do it.
I can't remember what parent suggested it, but we use the cotton "sleeve" that they use under casts. You can buy it really cheap at the medical supply stores and cut it to the length you want. We bought lots, so we have a bunch floating around, in the wash, etc. We cut it long and then roll it back at the top and at the toes. That way his little toes can breath and he doesn't get too hot.

Ang :)
We also got the cotton sleeves that go under casts. You may be able to get some from the person that made your night splints. We got ours from the physical therapist. They are completely washable and not too hot.
Joshua uses girls dress socks. They go all the way up to the knees and don't make him sweat. They are thin so they aren't very hot at all. We got ours at Wal-Mart for cheap!!!

Naomi
Baseball player sock I find the best, because they are long enough to even fold down over the top of the brace to help keep it in place
We found the perfect socks - finally! Girls or womens knee socks. They are actually more like thigh-highs. They are thin enough, wash without fraying, and are not too hot. We were even able to find some that were not too feminine. We bought them in a three pack at Target.
While I was training with my friend for the Susan G Komen walk. We were told to use wicking socks to help pull the moisture away from our feet along with sneakers that have breathable material on top and the sides we found these worked very well for us so I tried them on Craigie and they work very well. We bought socks when we had his night boots checked and they were alot of money for one pair. I bought my socks at Target. So we are using them for Craigie.
This is some info I found about wicking material.

Cotton is about the worst choice you could make. Cotton absorbs water like a sponge and then doesn’t let it evaporate. Wool is a better option, but like cotton it does not wick well. Wool blends and small fiber wool, like Smartwool designed for wicking and evaporating moisture, can be a good choice. Polypropylene is a better choice than cotton or wool, because polypropylene resists absorbing water. It is not as good of a choice as small fiber wool, because it’s water resistant material is so good, it may do a better job keeping water in the shoe than allowing it to wick out. A polypropylene blend can be a good choice, depending on the fiber it is blended with. Acrylic socks tend to wick moisture well and they do not swell much when wet. Cotton swells almost 10 times as much as acrylic when wet. The American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine recommends socks made with CoolMax. Coolmax fabrics use polyester fibers and are uniquely engineered with gradient fabrics to move moisture from your feet.

Hope this helps.
Gina
Hi everybody,few days ago I talked with a shcool PT about night splints wich she agree and gave me a note to my son'sDr with a prescreption to get signed by him and will get back to PT to order .Yesterday with the Dr he schoked me with his answers that boys with DMD are not supose to wear
ANY KIND OF SUPPORT[splints,bracelet...]he said that they have to be on their own till they start to walk on their toes then they'll curve the spine in order to find a position that allowed them to walk longer, I said but most of boys with DMD wear splints and I'm sure it wasn't the parents idea but it was in 100% from the boys Drs.In the end I didn't want to argue with him too much I said you're the pro I'm not but I'm going to see Dr WONG in the end of march and WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE EXACT ANSWERS.
One more thing even stretching isn't necessary on his point of view !!!!!!??????????
Was I at the Dr or at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????.
Oh my gosh, Dr. Wong is the one who told us we needed them. The sooner the better. The do not stretch past neutral but give them an extended stretch through the night. Wyatt has been doing great with them, we actually gained range since he has been wearing them and stretching twice a day. It sounds like your doc is like ours here in Louisiana, reactive not proactive, I bet you can't wait to see Dr. Wong. Take care.

djamel fathi said:
Hi everybody,few days ago I talked with a shcool PT about night splints wich she agree and gave me a note to my son'sDr with a prescreption to get signed by him and will get back to PT to order .Yesterday with the Dr he schoked me with his answers that boys with DMD are not supose to wear
ANY KIND OF SUPPORT[splints,bracelet...]he said that they have to be on their own till they start to walk on their toes then they'll curve the spine in order to find a position that allowed them to walk longer, I said but most of boys with DMD wear splints and I'm sure it wasn't the parents idea but it was in 100% from the boys Drs.In the end I didn't want to argue with him too much I said you're the pro I'm not but I'm going to see Dr WONG in the end of march and WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE EXACT ANSWERS.
One more thing even stretching isn't necessary on his point of view !!!!!!??????????
Was I at the Dr or at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service