I've been reading about and considering Myofascial Release Therapy along with the "regular" stretching routine. My son has a slight bit of scoliosis and seems to lean a bit to one side. Is anyone using MFR? Are doctors and PT's recommending this at all?

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard of replacing tendon release surgery with MFR. They just release the fascias instead of the achilles itself. MFR maintains the boys' ability to walk much better than tendon release and is much less invasive and difficult.

Is your son being seen by Dr. Wong? If not, you could email her about this type of procedure. I'm not sure about doing this procedure in other areas of the body.

There are clinics that do myofascial release therapy sessions. One mom takes her son to one of these places once a month in the hopes that it will help prevent contractures.
Thanks Tina, It's the MFR therapy sessions I'm thinking of. Fortunately, his achilles tendons are in pretty good shape. But it looks like one shoulder is dropped a little and one leg appears slightly longer when he lays flat. I'm thinking that releasing tight spots throughout his body could help him stretch back into a correct posture. We don't see Dr. Wong, but I may just contact her for an opinion on the therapy.

Tina said:
I have heard of replacing tendon release surgery with MFR. They just release the fascias instead of the achilles itself. MFR maintains the boys' ability to walk much better than tendon release and is much less invasive and difficult.

Is your son being seen by Dr. Wong? If not, you could email her about this type of procedure. I'm not sure about doing this procedure in other areas of the body.

There are clinics that do myofascial release therapy sessions. One mom takes her son to one of these places once a month in the hopes that it will help prevent contractures.
I found this link on PT in the latest PPMD newsletter. It specifically mentions MFR techniques. http://www.parentprojectmd.org/site/DocServer/PT_handout-parent_pro...
I was looking for info about the myofascial release. My son has just had the release surgery done by Dr Do in Cincinnati. His left leg only as his gait was off and he was having back pain.. Does anyone know how long it takes to get back to walking?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service