Just curious what everyone else's opinion is on this. We are moving from Singapore to London (hooray!!) in the next month or two and will have a house with a huge backyard. We would really love to buy the kids a trampoline to increase their activity levels. Does anyone know if trampoline jumping is bad for our boys? James would really love a trampoline but I don't want to buy one if it is only going to make things worse.

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a good approach, Joshua'smom. We actually still have the little trampoline in the house because Jake's younger brother really loves it. (The big one is at my parents.) Most times, Jake doesn't pay much attention to it or have much desire to jump on it. They are just four and two years old right now, and I worry about how we will approach these issues in the future. I know it won't be easy.

Joshua's mom said:
We have a trampoline too. My oldest is almost 10 and Joshua is 5. We had it before Joshua was born and so how do you tell one he can't jump and the other that he can; or the oldest knows it's there and wants to play with it but we can't set it up because they both can't? (both rhetorical questions) What we do with Josh is let him bounce by himself for a few minutes... he can't bounce hard, then let his brother go at it. I don't believe it's enough for him to do any damage, but enough to get the craving out of his system... kind of like that nicorette gum. :)
I would stay away from the trampoline. My step daughter broke her elbow and had to have surgery to fix it so we stay away from them
What about bike riding? It is non load bearing and you can get special ones for our boys if you need to. As long as it is on flat ground Dr.Wong says
it is good. My boys also love their scooters, like the razor. It doesn't take as much effort, keeps them on their feet which is good for there bone
density, plus they get that feeling of speed that they don't normally get like other kids running. I also got them these moon shoes which strap onto
there shoe and they can bounce when they walk. I also love the the Wii for them. It lets them complete like other kids and gives them a little exercise at
the same time. I like the mini golf comment too! It is really important to let them do as much as they can to be like other kids. We also go walking on
trails near our house and let them rest whenever they want.
Our 5 year old DMD son loves to have his older brother bounce him on a trampoline. He sits down and like to be bounced in the air. We usually have a 1 person on the trampoline rule, but this is a great exception.
We got a trampoline before my son was ever diagnosed. Justin was never really into jumping on it, but he loved to be bounced on it. he played on it up until it was too hard to get him on and off of it. Alot of times he just loved to roll around on it and race his cars.

--Samantha
Sharyn Thompson said:
God, my poor little boy! It seems he doesn't get to do anything that other boys do and he is so desperate to do. And my girls have to miss out as well because some shit of a disease decided to infiltrate my poor little boy's body! This disease makes me so angry! Is there any exercise/activity they can do? Apart from swimming, which is not really an easy thing to do in a London winter?

I feel your pain. We have a trampoline with a net and pads. Our boy without DMD loves it and so does our boy (Avery) with DMD. Like most boys with DMD, Avery is limited with how fast he can run, how well he can walk steps, and being able to jump. He LOVES bouncing and tussling with his brother in the trampoline. I will continue to let him play on the tramp as long as he wants!
Thank you everyone for your input on this matter. After discussing this at length this morning with my husband, and weighing up the pros and cons, we have decided we will still buy the trampoline. It is only a small one, suitable for kids up to 6 years, and has surrounding nets and pads. It is nothing like the old ones of my childhood. He will also be supervised whenever he is playing on it.

I know this may be considered "bad" for my son, but James will have a shortened life, and the quality of that life is going to be rather crap, so I really want to ensure he has "lived" the life of normal boy as much as possible. We have decided it is not fair to put so many restrictions on him as this may lead to resentment and depression in later years. He is very very good at self-regulating his activity levels. When he is starting to get tired, he just sits or lies down or goes off to play with his animals. He's a boy, I want him to live like a boy.
Hi Sharyn,
My husband and I feel very similar to you and your husband and that we want our son to be a boy. we do not want him to ever look back and say why did you shelter me??? we let him play the sports that he wants. now after saying that, Dr Wong feels very strongly that even the shortest amount of time on a trampoline does severe damage to the calf muscles. it excelerates muscle breakdown. I have read some of your other posts and know that you are very proactive in keeping your son mobile and loose for as long as possible. It is just something to consider that you can let him be a boy with soooo many other things and just avoid the trampoline.
We also took the approach of letting our son do what he wanted to, no matter what. He stopped walking at 9.7yrs old. he was on steroids also. I dont know if restricting him would have let him walk longer or not, but it doesnt matter one way or the other to me. While Justin was still walking, he did everything he wanted to with no restrictions. He played t-ball, he played soccer, he participated fully in pe, he skated, he walked miles and miles in our pastures, he climbed fences, he played on the trampoline, he walked all over Six Flags and Disney World for days and days, he rode horses, four wheelers, etc etc. I dont regret a minute of it and I wouldnt change any of it either. justin still talks about the days he did all of those things.

--Samantha
I did ask different sets of doctors about trampolines, and they all told me, they'd never let their kid, MD or not, as they are the #1 reason that children visit the emergency room in the US (that is what they told me). We have one, but Kelvin just sits on it, while his sister bounces. He is fine with that. We do allow a bounce house on occasion, but he doesn't bounce much and it is extremely low impact what he does. He just holds on to the netting and bounces a bit. I am like others though, I believe kids should enjoy what they can (with some limits) and just be positive about their future, which we are. Thanks, Michelle
Thank you so much for including the link about therapy. The information was so helpful!
Laurie

MicahsDaddy said:
my son jumped on a trampoline last year and was unable to walk later that day. I had to carry him from a friends house to the car. He was fine the next day, but I won't let him on one again. I then found the attached file.

He has not experienced problems in a bouncie, maybe because they are more firm? So, these, i still let him enjoy.

On page 8 of the attached PDF:

Trampolining
Fun but not recommended
Safety –fracture risk
Eccentric activity
Ok to sit and be bounced but not ok to stand and jump
Risk of myoglobinurea caused by working the muscles too much which can lead to kidney damage (coca cola/dark coloured wee)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service