Just curious what everyone else's opinion is on this. We are moving from Singapore to London (hooray!!) in the next month or two and will have a house with a huge backyard. We would really love to buy the kids a trampoline to increase their activity levels. Does anyone know if trampoline jumping is bad for our boys? James would really love a trampoline but I don't want to buy one if it is only going to make things worse.

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've always heard they are extremely bad for our boys.
God, my poor little boy! It seems he doesn't get to do anything that other boys do and he is so desperate to do. And my girls have to miss out as well because some shit of a disease decided to infiltrate my poor little boy's body! This disease makes me so angry! Is there any exercise/activity they can do? Apart from swimming, which is not really an easy thing to do in a London winter?
Actually, the trampoline we are getting has pads over the springs and frame as well as a surrounding net. You can see it on the link below. My kids use it at school, but that is here in Singapore and we are moving to London where they won't have it. I have never liked trampolines until I saw these ones. As a responsible parent, I would also stipulate one child on the trampoline at a time, but the teachers at school have also drummed this into them.

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/tp-big-bouncer-trampoline-8ft-with-safety-...
I may be a rebel of a parent here, but I believe our kids should be allowed to do as much as they are interested in doing physically. They tend to know their own limits. I mean no disrespect, especially since you have to do what you feel is right. Try to remember that the best gift you can give them is as normal a life as possible because this helps them embrace the disease with much more confidence and perseverance, then dread and helplessness. While this disease is physically limiting in so many ways, this does not change the fact that children naturally desire to be included and adventurous. Please encourage these wonderful qualities and spirits in them by letting them participate in the things that bring them joy. Otherwise, what's the point...

With all my respect of your wishes and understanding of your concerns,
Liisa

Sharyn Thompson said:
Actually, the trampoline we are getting has pads over the springs and frame as well as a surrounding net. You can see it on the link below. My kids use it at school, but that is here in Singapore and we are moving to London where they won't have it. I have never liked trampolines until I saw these ones. As a responsible parent, I would also stipulate one child on the trampoline at a time, but the teachers at school have also drummed this into them.
http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/tp-big-bouncer-trampoline-8ft-with-safety-...
For some reason I remember hearing that trampoline's were okay because they would actually absorb the impact coming down, unlike a step or concrete. I will ask our PT the next time we see her.
my son jumped on a trampoline last year and was unable to walk later that day. I had to carry him from a friends house to the car. He was fine the next day, but I won't let him on one again. I then found the attached file.

He has not experienced problems in a bouncie, maybe because they are more firm? So, these, i still let him enjoy.

On page 8 of the attached PDF:

Trampolining
Fun but not recommended
Safety –fracture risk
Eccentric activity
Ok to sit and be bounced but not ok to stand and jump
Risk of myoglobinurea caused by working the muscles too much which can lead to kidney damage (coca cola/dark coloured wee)
Attachments:
MicahsDaddy,

I stand very corrected. Thank you for sharing this because I will take better care to pay attention to the trampoline as an activity. At this point my boy can hardly jump of the ground with two feet anyway, but I better understand now the bigger implication of a trampoline. One thing though, I'll try to still make decisions to benefit the my other kids, so that they are no indirectly disabled by this disease.

Sincerely thankful for this input.

Liisa

MicahsDaddy said:
my son jumped on a trampoline last year and was unable to walk later that day. I had to carry him from a friends house to the car. He was fine the next day, but I won't let him on one again. I then found the attached file.

He has not experienced problems in a bouncie, maybe because they are more firm? So, these, i still let him enjoy.

On page 8 of the attached PDF:

Trampolining
Fun but not recommended
Safety –fracture risk
Eccentric activity
Ok to sit and be bounced but not ok to stand and jump
Risk of myoglobinurea caused by working the muscles too much which can lead to kidney damage (coca cola/dark coloured wee)
I would not let them jump.
My cousins have a trampoline, I just sit in the middle and they jump up and down and i get to bounce....they have a safety type thing around it so you can't really fall off....
Sharyn Thompson said:
Is there any exercise/activity they can do?

Sharyn

My son and husband play miniture golf together. He likes playing miniture golf. It's not too taxing on his muscles.
Thanks for the very informative document, Micah's Daddy. We were advised by Dr. Wong's PT in July that trampolines do enormous amounts of damage to the muscles in just a few minutes. Just before Jake's diagnosis, we'd bought him a big trampoline for outside and a small one for inside in hopes of helping him learn to jump! Who would ever have known!
We have a trampoline too. My oldest is almost 10 and Joshua is 5. We had it before Joshua was born and so how do you tell one he can't jump and the other that he can; or the oldest knows it's there and wants to play with it but we can't set it up because they both can't? (both rhetorical questions) What we do with Josh is let him bounce by himself for a few minutes... he can't bounce hard, then let his brother go at it. I don't believe it's enough for him to do any damage, but enough to get the craving out of his system... kind of like that nicorette gum. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service