Reauthorization Bill reaches House Floor for a Vote Tomorrow!

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keith,

Thanks for positng the link to CSPAN and keeping us all updated. I was able to listen at work. What is a quorum? Is this something they do on some bills when members are not all present and request a vote? Or is this standard when the co-sponsors are not the majority?

It is nice to have a better understanding. It sounds very promising to get this approved and yes on to the Senate. We need to keep making calls to make sure our voices are heard. It could be our calls that win over a member.

All the best everyone. I am holding positive thoughts on all of this! A lot of hard work from many people will make this happen, our children and families need this!

Julie
Just spoke to Ryan and a quorum is when there are not enough members on the floor to vote, they hold it over until the next day to finalize. Ryan also said, the bill is up for vote now.....
I'm at work and my computer doesn't give me cspan access...what happened?!
It has passed the House! Good job everyone!!! Now, we have the Senate. Call and get support...let them hear from you and let them know this bill is critical to our families! If you can't reach the DC offices, call the local offices and try DC tomorrow. If they hear from enough, we can do this. Good luck!!!
Jerry Lewis Thanks MD Community as MD-CARE Legislation Passes House

Last update: 4:35 p.m. EDT Sept. 24, 2008
WASHINGTON, Sept 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Legendary entertainer and MDA National Chairman Jerry Lewis today expressed gratitude to all those working to pass the Muscular Dystrophy Community Assistance, Research and Education (MD-CARE) Amendments of 2008. The legislation, which today passed the House, reauthorizes and augments the MD-Care Act signed into law in 2001. The bill still is pending in the Senate.
"I want to thank the entire MD advocacy community for getting behind this crucial legislation and making your voices heard," Lewis said. "Together, we're getting it done."
Lewis, who testified in 2000 at Congressional hearings on the original MD-CARE Act, last week sent a letter to Congress urging passage of the 2008 reauthorization.
The original legislation created six Centers of Excellence for muscular dystrophy research under the auspices of the National Institutes of Health.(MDA contributed $1.5 million in funding to each of the first three centers.) MD-CARE also created a Muscular Dystrophy Coordinating Committee to guide research efforts, and a data collection system under the federal Centers for Disease Control.
The reauthorization of the MD-CARE Act (H.R. 5265/S. 2618, titled the Paul D. Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Community Assistance, Research and Education Amendments of 2008) will strengthen efforts to find cures and treatments for muscular dystrophies, including Becker, congenital, Duchenne, Emery-Dreifuss, facioscapulohumeral, limb-girdle, myotonic and oculopharyngeal. Among other amendments, the reauthorization would enhance clinical infrastructure that "fast tracks" research findings into viable therapies. MDA is actively promoting Congressional approval of the reauthorization through its National Advocacy Program.
"As everyone knows, it's my dream to bring an end to the muscle-wasting diseases that devastate 'my kids' and their families," Lewis said. "I'm proud to have been a part of passing the original act and I urge Congress to keep us moving forward by passing the 2008 amendments. We all must continue to make our voices heard."
MDA is a voluntary health agency working to defeat muscular dystrophy and related diseases through programs of worldwide research, comprehensive services and far-reaching professional and public health education.
SOURCE Muscular Dystrophy Association
Copyright (C) 2008 PR Newswire. All rights reserved
10:50 AM Friday. Bill is currently in the Republican Senate Cloakroom. Cross fingers.... Hoping to celebrate Reauthorization of the MD CARE Act very soon...........

Warm regards,
Pat
Is this on CSpan or Cspan 2? Please verify. Thanks.

Pat Furlong said:
10:50 AM Friday. Bill is currently in the Republican Senate Cloakroom. Cross fingers.... Hoping to celebrate Reauthorization of the MD CARE Act very soon...........

Warm regards,
Pat
Thank you PPMD and to Senator Roger Wicker for your support. Also a special thanks to Drew Malone and his son, Adam, for taking the time to do this video.

http://www.wickerforsenate.com/fighting-everyday

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service