Has anyone considered ayuvedic treatment for their boys? We have been referred to a doctor in India who has seen promising results. He says that he has helped many DMD families. Any type of comments on this are appreciated.

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kulwant,
I am not familiar with this...can you explain it?
I'm still learning about this but this is a little of what I got:

Muscular Dystrophy and Ayurveda
Genetic flaws are responsible for debilitating effects
of different forms of muscular dystrophies. Our
genetics is regulated by life forces and the later is
influenced by the cosmic forces. This is purely a
scientific and holistic understanding.

Have you ever considered alternative approach using
Ayurveda and Yoga based techniques for management of
complex diseases like Muscular dystrophy? We wish to
inform you of the promising results that we have
achieved at our wellness clinic in treating the
debilitating effects of muscular dystrophy using
Ayurveda and Yoga based techniques. The Dystrophy
clinic being run at Sanjivani wellness Bhilai India,
focuses on - (i) Reducing weight, (ii) Improving
muscle tone and functional ability in patients using
Ayurvedic Panchkarma, scientifically verified
Ayurvedic medicines, and yoga.

Ayurveda considers this condition as Mamsa-vata-kshaya
(MVK) related to Beeja dosha and impairments of
Mamsagni (muscle enzyme). It involves deranged Vata
and subsequent degeneration of muscles and structures
related to it. Ayurvedic treatment might slow or stop
the progression of muscle degeneration. A combined
strategy of age-old Til-Mash Pinda sweda (TMP),
Pizhichil, Anuvasana Vasti, Mamsagni Rasayana and
Yogic support is effective in the long-term management
of muscular dystrophies.

So far, we have treated Duchenne type, Bucker type and
Limb-Girdle type of patients with very promising
results such as (i) weight loss (ii) Decrease in blood
CPK level (iii) Relief in Pain and Stress (iv)
Decrease in walking difficulty (v) Further check on
muscle wasting and contractures. These results suggest
that there is check on further muscle destruction.
Ayuveda is a very old medical system with many great features that work with the body type and spirit. As DMD is a genetic condition where the gene itself is altered no system can "cure", as I'm sure you are aware. Yoga is a great way of stretching and there are several places around the world using yoga for treatment of various types of MD.
Any treatment which helps the body function better is helpful. There are also many Ayuvedic Doctors around the world, not just in India now. We have many practicing in Australia, I'm sure this is the case in America as well.
Good luck, and please post any results if you do try!
Hi,
These days one of the very popular Aurvedic and Yogic Guru is Baba Ramdev. He has set up large medical facilities and also has state of art laboratories which reseach of Aurvedic medicines on the lines of modern medical invesigation. Info at http://www.healthservices.divyayoga.com/

One can even get the list of ingredinets and their exact composition from the website of medicines and but the herbal products from open market to prepare the medicine him self.

Long story short, it appears to me a descent authentic approach.

We approached Baba Ramdev when we learn about DMD. We were informed that aurvedic experts would prescribe only after evalutaing the person. We are planning to visit the facility, not many hopes though.
My son's school aide is from India. She keeps giving me the number of a local doctor who practices ayyvedic treatment. She is convinced that this will stop the progression of DMD. I am afraid to call the number. I do not want to jeopardize my son's health. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
I am wondering about this Ayurveda concept and in conjunction with Yoga, this must be helpful to our boys.  Although I know it would never be a cure, I do think it would help slow the progression and allow them to walk longer.    Any of our Indian friends out there use this as therapy for our boys?  I know this thread is 3 years old, but I am really thinking of getting my son into this......  What do I have to lose??   Nothing.
This is also used in Eastern Europe. This was the first thing recommended to us by someone in EU when our son was diagnosed. Not sure what to say about the results since the boy's progression in EU is similar to here. I thought that it might help preserve range of motion but do not know anyone using it.

Kulwant,

I have been to Baba Ramdev's ashram for this purpose. There is no cure available either in Ayurveda/Homeopath. At least in Patanjali Yogpeeth (Baba Ramedev's Ashram) they were honest and they told me clearly that there is no cure available with them. With massage therapy they can delay the degeneration (which is possible through other means as well) but cannot treat it. In India i have spoken to almost all good Ayurved doctors and their response is same. Yes, there are quacks who are claiming that they can cure this disease which is completely baseless. I stay in Delhi, capital of India so i have the first hand experience of these treatments. My advice will be not to take this route as i have met 2-3 families who are suffering because of Ayurved/Homeopath treatment.

Hi,

I am in Bangalore,India. I had also met many groups/doctors here for Ayurvedic medicines. No proven results.

But I across one interesting fact.

Many of the Ayurvedic supplements contains Brahmi (Bacopa Extract), Ashwagandaha(Withania somnifera) and Turmeric (Curcuma longa). They contain many other ingredients also.

(1)   Ashwagandha is a recognised adaptogen, i.e. it improves physical energy and athletic ability; it increases immunity to colds and infections. Ashwagandha is an excellent anti-inflammatory drug with good healing capabilities. It reduces swelling and helps restore blood supply. In Ayurvedic practices, turmeric has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent and remedy for gastrointestinal discomfort associated with irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive disorders.

(2)   According to the Ayurveda, Brahmi has antioxidant properties. It has been reported to reduce oxidation of fats in the blood stream, which is the risk factor for cardiovascular diseases. Brahmi is considered as the main rejuvenating herb for the nerve and brain cells.

(3)   In Ayurvedic practices, turmeric has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent and remedy for gastrointestinal discomfort associated with irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive disorders.

Now as per Protandim website, Protandim also contains similar ingredients.

As per website,it says that

Protandim contains silymarin from Silybum marianum (milk thistle), bacopasides from Bacopa monniera, withanolides from Withania somnifera (ashwagandha), polyphenolics from Camellia sinensis (green tea), and curcumin from Curcuma longa (turmeric).

Again, no proven results for Protandim( in the context of Duchenne), but it appears to help muscles.

So my guess is that these ingredients (Mainly Ashwagandha,Brahmi, Turmeric) somehow help the body.How much,upto what extent....will not know till any proven study happens.

Raktim

Did anyone pursue this further?  This thread is from 2008 and I am curious if anyone used Ayurvedic Treatment with positive results?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service