I'm posting the letter along with the contacts that we are starting with.
Please send 2 letters each week to these contacts by email, snail mail, fax or whatever means you have available and forward the information to family and friends who are wlling to help. I will be sending 2 letters each way starting today.

Also remember to personalize the letter and please post so that we know who will be joining in the letter writing campaign.

Thanks, Donna

I am the parent of ____________, age ___ who suffers daily, yet a beautiful stranger named Pat Furlong is trying to save him, and you should book her as a guest on your show. My son is one of the thousands of children in this country afflicted by Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. DMD is an incurable genetic disease that puts children into wheelchairs before they can drive and ends their lives while their peers attend college. Pat, who lost her two sons to this disease, co-founded a non-profit organization called Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy ( http://www.parentprojectmd.org ). Because of PPMD’s work public agencies, private research foundations, doctors and scientists have finally begun focusing their efforts on translating academic theory into experimental medications that, for the first time, show promise to end this terrible affliction which has plagued humans since time began.

Pat is a world respected expert on Duchenne, a brilliant public speaker and advocate. She can explain that Duchenne is the most common lethal hereditary childhood disease on the planet and not just some odd affliction that only happens to somebody else’s child. On the contrary, one third of the cases are spontaneous and it happens without warning. Pat is the voice for our brave boys and has created a place for Duchenne parents to connect, to learn. She has received awards like Research! America’s 2008 Gordon and Llura Gund Leadership Award, she’s been a finalist for the Nancy Grace Extraordinary Parent Contest and was profiled in the New York Times and Esquire. She can gracefully explain that the groundbreaking work of “Jerry’s Kids” isn’t enough, it's going to take more. It's going to take your effort, today, to help this beautiful stranger achieve her goal to save my son.

While I watch my child’s muscles die a little more everyday, please give Pat and DMD families all over the world a chance end the tragedy.

Thank you,

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[Telephone or em address]

Maury Povich:
beaguest@themauryshow.com
http://www.mauryshow.com/be_a_guest.html
http://www.mauryshow.com/email.php?subject=undefined
Maury Povich Show
(212) 547-8400
401 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001 Map it | Get directions Cross Streets: Between W 32nd St and W 33rd St
Maury c/o Hotel Pennsylvania/ Grand Ballroom, 15 Penn Plaza, New York, NY 10001
ph: 212-547-8400 - fx 212-244-3548 - www.mauryshow.com

Oprah:
http://www.oprah.com/ord/plugform.jsp?plugId=216
The show's mailing address is:
PO Box 909715
Chicago, IL 60690
Harpo Productions, Harpo Studios, 110 N. Carpenter St., Chicago, Il 60607-2146
ph: 312-633-1000 - fx: 312-633-1111 - owinfrey@harpo.com
asst: Lisa Halliday - ph: 310-278-5559
member staff: ph: 312-633-1000

Phil McGraw - The Dr. Phil Show, 555 Melrose Avenue, Mae West Bldg., Los Angeles, CA 90038
phone 323-956-3300 fx 323-862-1144 - email: http://www.drphil.com/shows/page/contactdrphil/
Dr. Phil (with this one, may be good for Kim Innabi’s Reader Digest letter too):
http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=10720
Dr. Phil show
5482 Wilshire Boulevard #1902
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phil McGraw - The Dr. Phil Show, 5555 Melrose Avenue, Mae West Bldg., Los Angeles, CA 90038
phone 323-956-3300 fx 323-862-1144 - email: http://www.drphil.com/shows/page/contactdrphil/

Ellen Degeneres - The Ellen Degeneres Show, Telepictures Productions, 3500 W. Olive Avenue 10th Fl, Burbank, CA 91505
phone 818-972-0777 - fx 818-972-8960 - email: ellendegeneres@warnerbros.com
http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=10
http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=26
The Ellen DeGeneres Show
PO Box 7788
Burbank, CA 91523

Whoopi Goldberg, c/o Bragman/Nyman/Cafarelli, Pacific Design Center, 8687 Melrose Avenue, Fl 8, Los Angeles, CA 90069
ph: 310-854-4800 - fx: 310-854-4848 - email: wgoldberg@bncpr.com, www.bncpr.com

Montell Williams: Mountain Movers, Inc., 433 West 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019
ph: 212-830-0300 - fx: 212-262-4608

ALREADY SUPPORTING MD AS A CHARITY:

ZZ Top, Agency for the Performing Arts, Agency, 250 W. 57th St. Ste 1701, New York, NY 10106
phone 212-687-0092 fx 212-687-0176
Anthony Bourdain - talk show host, chef: Inkwell Management, 521 Fifty Ave., New York, NY 10175
phone 212-922-3500 - fx 212-922-0535 - email: info@inkwellmanagement.com

Kevin Costner - Creative Artists Agency, LLC, P.O. Box 240002, Los Angeles, CA 90024
no other info available

Jay Leno - NBS Studios, 3000 W. Alameda Ave., Burbank, CA 91523-0001
phone 818-840-4444 www.nbc.com

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beacause I'm still catching up on a lot of the online readings here at PPMD Community, is it to late to do this or are we still writing letters to all talk shows?

Advise,
Dee
I'm still sending them out in hopes of getting interest from the other shows. We haven't been doing this for very long. I think it's really important to keep this going! The Dr. Phil show responded back very quickly.

Dee said:
Beacause I'm still catching up on a lot of the online readings here at PPMD Community, is it to late to do this or are we still writing letters to all talk shows?

Advise,
Dee
Thanks Karen, I'll work on it tommarrow. My fax machine for some reason doesn't want to work with the digital phone system, so I'll have to email and mail them out. Safe hugz!

Karen Barnett said:
I'm still sending them out in hopes of getting interest from the other shows. We haven't been doing this for very long. I think it's really important to keep this going! The Dr. Phil show responded back very quickly.

Dee said:

Advise,
Dee
I am still sending mail--my e-mails and faxes do not seem to go through anymore so snail it is--I don't think we should stop until we get much much more attention. I feel forgotten in this great country,
Lukey's Grandma
Joanne, Karen and Everyone:

I filled out so many letters for titles of each show that I'm not sure which one they picked up on. I think it could have been on under the title Are you stressed out? so go in and look at the titles for the upcoming shows and choose ones that might pertain to you. I'm still writing to the others and still doing the emails once a day and faxes once a day and snail mail twice a week. We need to keep it up and we need all types of families on these shows.

They called me last Thursday and told me to get the information and pictures to them ASAP because they had a few openings and they didn't want to see us miss out on the opportunity. I wasn't prepared for things to happen that fast and I was running around like a nut all weekend. I have all my family pictures stored on a Zip disc and naturally my zip drive wouldn't open them so I had to scan pictures that I had printed out which took me 5 hours.

Jacob was with me this weekend and wanted to start to make decorations for the Halloween party I said he could have so I was trying to elaborate on our story, Duchenne, PPMD and everything else everyone else wanted me to include while keep Jacob occupied.

If it wouldn't have been for Christian and Paul and Cheryl Cliff coming to my rescue I would never have gotten things together so that I could have everything to them in their email for this morning as I had promised.

If you are going to keep on contacting the shows make sure you have your whole story and pictures ready. I can give you what I wrote about everything else now to add to it.

Now it's a waiting game to see if they like what I sent.
I can't tell you how many years ago it was, when I first wrote to Oprah to beg her to let Pat tell her story/our story. I know I have not been the only one. Jacob's Mom is something else to have sparked interest already. Happy to help from Oz and heres hoping there will be strength in numbers ! PPMD is the one true, original DMD .org with the most holistic and balanced research investment portfolio and the runs on the board for making everybody, at all levels, lift their game for tomorrow's boys. You gotta promise to record the interviews and put them on youtube so I can see them too.
I just sent another round of emails out to these shows along with the ABC and NBC News shows. If you save your original message into a word document then just copy & paste it into the submission form of whatever show your are sending it too then it goes really quick to send them all out. Takes no more than 20 minutes to get them all in. Hoping the momentum that Jacobsmommom started continues and everyone joins in and keeps this up!
This is the response sent back when you try and submit your maximum 500 character email to the different ABC News Shows.

Thank you for your request to ABC News.

To submit a story idea to one of the ABC News shows listed below, write a single page letter including your name, phone number, and address. Include photocopies of backup information. On the outside of the envelope, write "Story Idea." If a producer is interested in your story, he/she will contact you. Here are the show addresses:

20/20
147 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023

Primetime
147 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023

Nightline/This Week
1717 DeSales Street NW
Washington, DC 20036

World News With Charles Gibson
47 West 66th Street 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10023

Good Morning America
147 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023
I just posted under the other Dr. Phil post that I'm now waiting for the second response from the show.

Please everyone keep the letter writing going. We can't slack off until we have everyones attention. The publicity that Ryan Lochte is making for us is so wonderful and we all still need to do our part.

I think that it is PPMD's and Pat's time to get the recognition deserved and that in return it will help our boys tremendously!

As Karen said. Save your letter in word and all you have to do is tweak it for whomever you are sending it to and print 10 at a time, print out 10 envelopes at a time to snail mail or copy and paste into emails or the forms on each site. It really doesn't take up much time at all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service