We just got back from Cincinnati and Dr. Wong is putting Sam on Fosamax. His bone density was down to -3.2. It had previously been around -2.5. Has anyone used this? How has your son done? It was kinda shocking to see it had gone down so much since he gets lots of calcium and Vit D. We're also increasing his D to 2000IU/day (was at 1000), but are having to decrease his calcium supplements because there's too much in his urine. He drinks so much milk anyways, that she's thinking the supplements are just not necessary.

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tina,
Sam's dosage is 1/4 of the bottle (liquid). I think that comes to 18.75mg. Sam can swallow pills, but Dr. Wong said they're extended release, so can't be split.
Tina,

My son takes 35mg weekly. He is 14 and has been taking it for six years or so and has always had that dosage. My father takes it but his dosage is 70mg.
These are guidelines from a drug therapy handbook I have sitting on the shelf....

osteoporosis prophylaxis: 5mg once daily or 35 mg once weekly
osteoporosis treatment: 10mg once daily or 70mg once weekly
glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: 5mg once daily
But is that adult or child dosage? Sam is only 40lbs.

Tina said:
These are guidelines from a drug therapy handbook I have sitting on the shelf....

osteoporosis prophylaxis: 5mg once daily or 35 mg once weekly
osteoporosis treatment: 10mg once daily or 70mg once weekly
glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: 5mg once daily
Tina said:
Question. What dosages are your boys taking? 35mg is the usual dose for adults. Fosamax comes in pill form. Can your boys swallow pills? What's the reason for the liquid versus pill form?

Ellen, I wonder why Tim's back hurts on the days he receives this pill. Only on this day? Huh?
The usual adult dose is 35 to 70mg. Depends on your bone density results. Have not heard of Fosamax being used in children, have clinical trials been done?

What type of vitamin E were you using?

Tina said:

Hi Lori

I even gave Vitamin E to our son at the same time with his calcium and vitamin d to aid in absorption but his his vitamin E levels became toxic. Vitamin A,D,E, and K are fat soluble vitamins the rest are water soluble ( flush out of the system). His vitamin E levels returned to normal soon after we stopped the Vitamin E supplementation.

I believe our boys do require more vitamin d than other children especially if they take steroids.
Viactiv chews are a good product for the younger kids ( especially if they can't swallow pills) but my son grew out of liking them. I spent a small fortune purchasing several flavors and ended up giving them away. Now, he takes Nature's Made. The calcium pill comes in a smaller version but still contain 600mg/200mg of the vitamin. He choked on the bigger caltrate pills.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service