We just got my son's second set of night splints, and we are still in sticker shock over the $2,300 billed to our insurance (which won't cover durable medical equipment.) However, our son does have medicaid as a secondary. We are beginning to wonder if our ortho guy is being dishonest, knowing that medicaid will pay the amount. So, what do you pay for your AFO's? By the way, these are fairly basic AFO's, no hinges, no designs, just an extra strap to help adjust the angle.
Thanks

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think ours were alot also, but if medicade here pays for them, but waiting for the approval is rediculos he's going to out grow them before we get them. but i think it was like $1800
My son is 10 and this last pair of AFO's ( hinged, sporty theme etc) was around $2600. We ended up paying I think around $800. We don't have medicaid, just regular insurance through my husband's employer. We are due for another set of AFO's with a new ( a much better insurance) I will let you know how much it is when we get this done. But I think your price is average, with medicaid, you shouldn't have to pay any out of pocket expense.
The price is about $ 2000 . Looks indeed dishonest , especially for those who work for 8,75 per hour, but it is real price. I guess world thinks that can't exist without attorneys, doctors and orthopedics/prosthetic makers, but can exist without cashiers, cooks , patient care technicians,drivers etc, etc). (funny ha?)( I know ...the price of the college...)
My Family didnt have to pay anything for my AFOs.........
Is there a difference between night AFO and braces that you wear all day long? My son is only 6 and has very flat feet, so we went to a dr to get archers puy in his shoes, but the told me that he needed braces for everyday use. Does this sound correct? I was just trying to get him something to stretch him out while he sleeps!
We have Kaiser Permanente, and our plan does not cover AFO's. Nicholas is 12 and has outgrown the last pair (which we paid for out-of-pocket). We are in the process of getting new ones. I am applying to Shriner's Hospital (I heard they may cover them). It's worth a try.
Amanda Rudd said:
Is there a difference between night AFO and braces that you wear all day long? My son is only 6 and has very flat feet, so we went to a dr to get archers puy in his shoes, but the told me that he needed braces for everyday use. Does this sound correct? I was just trying to get him something to stretch him out while he sleeps!

Our DMD doc told us to do day AFO's. Then, we found out that DMD kids usually wear the night splints for stretching. We simply used the day AFO's at night at first. They do a great job. Since using them, he toe steps much less. There is a distinct difference. I was relieved to wear night splints because the day AFO's required special expensive and not attractive shoes. Also, despite their assurances as the contrary, I couldn't see how he could "run" and play very easily in the AFO's. It seemed to me that he would fall even more in the day AFO's. Unless there is a reason that your little guy needs the day AFO's, I highly recommend the night splints for ease and simplicity.
Danelle
Thank You so much!! How do you get night splints? Are they the same thing as the day AFO's? I am being told that he has to wear shoes with the AFO if he wears them at night!! I am so confused!!!!!!!!

Danelle Dickerson said:
Amanda Rudd said:

Our DMD doc told us to do day AFO's. Then, we found out that DMD kids usually wear the night splints for stretching. We simply used the day AFO's at night at first. They do a great job. Since using them, he toe steps much less. There is a distinct difference. I was relieved to wear night splints because the day AFO's required special expensive and not attractive shoes. Also, despite their assurances as the contrary, I couldn't see how he could "run" and play very easily in the AFO's. It seemed to me that he would fall even more in the day AFO's. Unless there is a reason that your little guy needs the day AFO's, I highly recommend the night splints for ease and simplicity.
Danelle
Technically, all the styles are AFO's. First, you need your doc to give you a prescription for AFO's. Then, you take it to the ortho people and tell them what you want. They can help you determine what style you need. Tell them that he will be wearing them at night. Ours aren't quite night splints as Matt's have a hinge in them. We wanted him to be able to walk in whatever he wore so he could go to the bathroom or in case of an emergency. I don't get the whole wearing shoes thing. The splints do all the work. I'm not sure why they would tell you that he needs shoes if he's just wearing them to sleep. Good luck!
My son just recently got his first pair of AFOs and I believe our insurance was billed for around $2500. I asked the MDA to pay for the remainder of my co-pay, so I didn't pay anything. (I did a little research and found out that AFOs are covered by the MDA and they gladly obliged my request to have them pay the balance.)
I cannot beleive the prices for these AFO's. I thought we paid a lot here in South Africa, but reading the notes on this topic, I am very happy to comment we pay the equivalent of $780, this is the insurance rate. I am sure that non insured families could even get them at a further discount. I was wondering how they make them in the USA, here we have a Polish professional who personally hand makes each set. They are amazing and fit like a glove. He also makes splints for all parts of the body that would need support.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service