Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy - has anyone ever used this or is it safe?

I just wondered if anyone out there has tried Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy. My uncle has friends that used it for a different reason, but the place that they went treated many children with MD, Cerebal Palsy, etc. They even saw kids go into it that couldn't walk, then came out and were able to. They said it was like a miracle for some, although I have no idea how many treatments that they had to have or what was wrong with them, nor would I know if it is safe. Another interesting fact was my parents were skipping channels and were watching Tori and Dean and they were looking for a preschool for their son and the preschool had a hyperbaric chamber for the children at the preschool with Autism and Speech Delayed children, etc., so I do know more children are using them, but didn't know if it would apply to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

There are many reports out there too of benefits (not sure what illness they are referring to), here is just one I read. It seems that increasing blood flow, stem cells and nitrous oxide are all good for MD.

A course of hyperbaric oxygen treatment was found to increase by eight-fold the number of stem cells circulating in a patient’s body according to a study to be published in the American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulation Physiology.

“This is the safest way clinically to increase stem cell circulation, far safer than any of the pharmaceutical options,” said Stephen Thom, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Emergency Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and lead author of the study. “This study provides information on the fundamental mechanisms for hyperbaric oxygen and offers a new theoretical therapeutic option for mobilizing stem cells.”

“We reproduced the observations from humans in animals in order to identify the mechanism for the hyperbaric oxygen effect,” added Thom. “We found that hyperbaric oxygen mobilizes stem/progenitor cells because it increases synthesis of a molecule called nitric oxide in the bone marrow. This synthesis is thought to trigger enzymes that mediate stem/progenitor cell release.”

Thanks, Michelle

Views: 704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine

Can possibly cause cataracts, can complicate upper respiratory infections, and in rare cases can lead to collapsed lungs. I'm not saying it couldn't be helpful, just that I wouldn't do it unless I got more information and then only under the care of a physician well versed in the therapy.
Hi there, my name is maxine from south africa and i just wanted to respond to this as i looked at this for my son and actually started the treatment, I enquired with Pat Furlong on this over 10 years ago and she gave me a reason it was not good for a dmd boy, i cant remeber why and i have asked her to give us the answer so i am sure she will write soon will get back to you
Kind regards
Thanks, I wasn't thinking of doing it unless of course, it was ok. I don't know much about it, just what I've been told through others. I, like everyone on here, am always researching all that I can for Kelvin's future. He is fantastic right now, but I will always be looking and won't stop. Thanks for any help. I just hadn't seen this mentioned on here before, but I've only been on PPMD for 8 months now. Thanks again, everyone is so much help here. Michelle

maxine Strydom said:
Hi there, my name is maxine from south africa and i just wanted to respond to this as i looked at this for my son and actually started the treatment, I enquired with Pat Furlong on this over 10 years ago and she gave me a reason it was not good for a dmd boy, i cant remeber why and i have asked her to give us the answer so i am sure she will write soon will get back to you
Kind regards
Michelle, we are all looking for something that will get us through to the first real breakthrough in treatment. I've looked into far infrared therapy and other unconventional treatments. We are here as a community to help one another look into these things and weigh the risks and potential benefits as well as to weed out the snake oil. Hyperbolic treatment doesn't look to fall into the snake oil category, as it certainly has legitimate medical uses, but you are wise to get opinions before resting too much hope on it.
Thanks, we're certainly all in this together here and I think we are all always seeking and hopeful that help just hurries up! I realize that doesn't happen fast, but I also believe we are looking at a time, where it will soon. Thanks for being there and certainly, I would never make a fast decision, but, while Kelvin is doing great right now and while he is I'm always going to be looking towards tomorrow. Michelle

Jerry Dallapè said:
Michelle, we are all looking for something that will get us through to the first real breakthrough in treatment. I've looked into far infrared therapy and other unconventional treatments. We are here as a community to help one another look into these things and weigh the risks and potential benefits as well as to weed out the snake oil. Hyperbolic treatment doesn't look to fall into the snake oil category, as it certainly has legitimate medical uses, but you are wise to get opinions before resting too much hope on it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service