Those of us who are running the half marathon (41, I believe) got an e-mail from Disney yesterday inviting us to share compelling stories that they could share with the media. Just wondering if there is an articulate person among us who would be willing to do this? If the media ended up covering the story it would be a great opportunity to raise awareness for DMD! Keep up the good work with training and meeting your fundraising goals, everybody! See you at Disneyland!

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

hi beth, go to the Run for our Sons Discussion Forum. (not sure why there is this group when
there is a forum?)

anyway, Rhiannon from SoCal and Laurie from TX have started a thread about this same topic.

take care,

christian
Here's the letter I wrote. I don't consider myself a very articulate person, but I took a shot.
--

My story starts with the fact that I'd really rather not be running. In the summer of 2005 my son, Sam, was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). DMD is a devastating, progressive muscle wasting disorder that slowly robs those diagnosed of their independence and eventually their life.DMD is the most common lethal genetic disorder of childhood. It affects 1 in 3500 boys worldwide. It knows no boundries and crosses into all cultures and races.Boys with DMD typically lose their ability to walk between the ages of 10 and 13. They lose upper body function in their teens and, sadly, most will lose their battle with DMD in their mid-twenties.

Soon after our diagnosis, we found an organization that gave us hope. It is Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD). It was founded by Pat Furlong, whose two sons were lost to this terrible disorder. PPMD has gone further than any other organization is fighting for care, treatment and research for our boys. They're truly committed to saving this generation.

Several years ago, PPMD started Run for Our Sons. It started at Disney World, but has spread to at least 4 other races around the U.S. We are a group of moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and friends who are running because our sons cannot. We're running to raise awareness. We're running to raise money. We're running to save lives.

I am the first to admit that I am not a runner. I always said the only reason you'd see me running was if someone was chasing me. Well, it's not a someone, but a something, and it's not chasing me, I'm chasing it. It's a cure, a life, for my son.
Laurie:

This is perfect! I especially like the chasing part at the end. You should definitely send this in!
Looking forward to meeting you at Disneyland!

Beth

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service