Has anyone ever experienced a problem with their child's teeth? Joshua's four front teeth started turning yellow and I noticed the enamel was starting to wear off as well. I called the pharmacist and he called me back saying that the steroids can cause this by eating away at the enamel and the plaque builds up and tries to fill in even if they do brush their teeth regularly. He punched into the search engine; deflazacort and tooth decay. We are taking Josh to the dentist at the children's hospital, but how is this going to affect his adult teeth.

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a lot of problems with Jack's teeth and heard the same thing about Prednisone. We instantly stopped crushing his into juice and started brushing right after taking meds in the morning. We have had great dentist visits since.

Ang :)
Joshua's been swallowing his pills all along. I'll try the teeth brushing right after he takes it, but I don't know if it would make a difference if it isn't really touching them. We do have an appointment to get his teeth checked, and maybe he'll have an idea too. This is the first time I've heard of this happening before. Thank you for the idea of the brushing right after taking the pills, we'll give it a try.

Naomi
Dear Joshua's Mom,

Thank you for sharing this concern aboout your sons teeth. My son takes Prednisone and I had no idea this problem even existed. I have not noticed any problems with tooth decay, but I will bring this matter to the attention of my sons dentist at the next visit.

Suzanne
I would have thought this would only occur if you were taking liquid or aerosol medication. My sister has been on aerosol steroids for years for asthma and the doctors said this was a common problem with the teeth. The steroid goes straight onto the teeth and starts colouring them on the surface. However, it is different if you swallow the steroid as a tablet as it goes straight to your stomach and gets absorbed into the bloodstream. So my understanding is that it is only if it goes directly onto the surface of your teeth. James used to have liquid prednisone, now he takes deflazacort tablets. We haven't noticed any changes to his teeth really.
After discussions with my sister, who happens to be in the pharmaceutical field and has both experience and access to information on many drugs, she has confirmed that the steroid only affects your teeth if it comes into direct contact ie as a liquid or aerosol. If the steroids are in either of these forms, you just brush your teeth or gargle with some mouthwash. The least you need to do is rinse out your mouth.

By crushing your tablets into juice or any other food, you increase the risk of direct contact as small fragments can coat your teeth. Swallowing the tablets whole means no chance of contact with your teeth. James has 3 tablets together, whole, with one teaspoon of yoghurt. Having it with yoghurt means that he doesn't need to chew, he just swallows.

Most of the time, the boys will be taking their meds in the morning, so this can easily be followed by teeth cleaning.

Sorry, hope I haven't rambled too much...
No you have not rambled to much. Glad your sister had this information to pass on, but I still will pass this information on to my sons dentist.

Suzanne

Sharyn Thompson said:
After discussions with my sister, who happens to be in the pharmaceutical field and has both experience and access to information on many drugs, she has confirmed that the steroid only affects your teeth if it comes into direct contact ie as a liquid or aerosol. If the steroids are in either of these forms, you just brush your teeth or gargle with some mouthwash. The least you need to do is rinse out your mouth.

By crushing your tablets into juice or any other food, you increase the risk of direct contact as small fragments can coat your teeth. Swallowing the tablets whole means no chance of contact with your teeth. James has 3 tablets together, whole, with one teaspoon of yoghurt. Having it with yoghurt means that he doesn't need to chew, he just swallows.

Most of the time, the boys will be taking their meds in the morning, so this can easily be followed by teeth cleaning.

Sorry, hope I haven't rambled too much...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service